S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Sonoma with a 2.2 4 cyl 5 speed in it. The belt tensioner chatters every time I put the engine under a load. If I lug it down a bit then step on the gas or just shift gears then give it a little gas, it makes the tentioner jump up and down 1/4 to 1/2 inch very fast. It tore up one tentioner already. I replaced it with a new one from GM, which is a Gates. It has a brand new Goodyear belt on it. All the bolts are tight. It still does it. Has anyone else ever run into this, or know what would fix it????????? THANKS !!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Take off the belt and check to see if any of your pulleys have any drag. If all of them are fine see if the sound gets worse when you have the A/C on. If it gets louder with the A/C on you should try a different belt I found that certain belts cause chatter, (Goodyear, Gates, Dayco) The belt I got from the dealer got rid of the noise for a couple thousand miles, finally I just got fed up and started spraying pb blaster on the belt to get rid of the chatter.

·
I rape little boys
1,329 Posts
hey that is your problem is the new belt....and it is not abnormal for the tensioner to jump whem revving...up
put a GM belt on it...and while the blet is off...be sure...liek whoever said it...all the pulley are free

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The belt did the trick ! I would have never believed it, but I figured you guys know alot more about that sort of thing than I do so I put the old belt back on it and it quit. The new Goodyear belt I put on it before was on about 1500 miles before it started the chattering. That's why I didn't think it could be the belt. I want to thank everyone so much for your help.

·
AA
627 Posts
I just had to have my belt tentioner assembly replaced today at 184,000 miles. They charged me about $120 just for the part. Does anyone know if you can get that part anywhere else other than a dealer (just incase it ever happens again).

·
Registered
697 Posts
whthow said:
The belt did the trick ! I would have never believed it, but I figured you guys know alot more about that sort of thing than I do so I put the old belt back on it and it quit. The new Goodyear belt I put on it before was on about 1500 miles before it started the chattering. That's why I didn't think it could be the belt. I want to thank everyone so much for your help.
that sounds kinda weird. do you think its possible that the new belt was mislabeled and was actually the wrong size? i had a problem when i went to get a belt. they gave me the wrong size and it had the same problem you had. it made a clunking noise, almost sounded like rod knock.

btw glad you figured it out though.

·
Not Me Just The Truck
66 Posts
I had to replace the tensioner when I replaced my alternator because I broke the head of the bolt that adjusted the load. The tensioner is a GM only part, I called every major autoparts store within 200 miles of Joplin MO and they all told me they could not get it for the 2.2, but they could for all of the V6's. I ended up having to suck it up and pay more for the tensioner than I did for the alternator. I called about 5 dealerships and the part ranged in price from 119 to 178.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Preventative maintainence people.
The tensioner will last you forever and not make noise when jumping arround if you take it off and lube it with some sillicone Grease.:twiggss:

·
Registered
26 Posts
smalblockguy said:
Preventative maintainence people.
The tensioner will last you forever and not make noise when jumping arround if you take it off and lube it with some sillicone Grease.:twiggss:
New with S-10 repair here. Do you have a quickie guide to do this properly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts