S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
What up S10 community, after reading various forums and searching all over the web, I decided to add to the list of troubleshooting the horn on my 1996 GMC Sonoma that was not working.

After testing the horns, fuses and relays and they were good... I narrowed the problem to a issue within the steering wheel column and the steering wheel... to by pass all the testing mention above simply find the thin black wire on the turn signal switch electrical connector and ground it out. If it blows then you know the horns, fuses, and relays are good.

Sorry no better picture, you will have to remove the cover around the switch to get to the thin black wire.
At this point I safely removed the airbag assembly and there is info on how to safely remove the airbag out there already, but if you can’t find it let me know... Steering wheel set up I have below...
So what ended up being the culprit to the horn not blowing was found with in the turn signal switch housing. There were some green build up where the spring contacts the circuit board. Look where I’m pointing with the pick...
So naturally I cleaned it all up and check for continuity between the thin black wire and wasn’t out of luck (OL) I had continuity... jackpot!!
I also have pictures of the copper spring and the copper pin that contacts the copper disc behind the steering wheel, that contacts the white spring when the horn on the steering wheel is pressed.

Part of the copper disk can be seen where the white spring is inserted into the yellow slot and behind the round black thing that sits on the steering wheel spindle you will see the whole copper disc... Hope this help someone, till next time.??
578B7779-5890-4790-9B3A-B9BB0DCEA95C.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Didn't get to it last night, maybe over this weekend. I had posted a few months back in here looking for the horn relay.
someone had used the horn fuse for an amplifier and "melted" the wires and fuse block. I replaced all of the wires in the dash, as well as the fuse block over the winter. Horn still does not work. Yes when I put 12 volts to both of them they sound. no power to each. I checked the switch in the column and that "looks" good so this wire is my last hope!
Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, testing it from that wire is going to let you know if you corrected everything from the relay to the fuse and to the horns. Test light was easiest tool for me to use if you have one. You don’t have to take apart the steering to test the wire here’s another way to get to it.
This is under the steering wheel. The wire is on the harness to the left of the black plastic air duct. See picture of wire below.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts