S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st motor, 222,000 lots of use. developed misfire on number 1 then got really bad intake leak that eventually spun a cam bearing.

2nd engine,, new headgaskets and intake with all new spider.marine grade, motor runs great know to be good forklift engine. NEW gm DIZZY .
P0302 (GOT IT MEMORIZED) missfire #2 cylinder. Now I have tried 3 different dizzys with no luck.

New idea on old misfires problems

So i got the timing light out and checked the #2 and sure enough the misfire showed up just shining the light on my hand. So i decided to put it BEFORE the distributer and it still showed the misfire on #2 only

So my question is

Starting at the coil what could go out that would cause the coil to misfire only on that one cylinder??? Including the coil, let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
How about crank sensor? Is this CPI or CSFI? 1996 was CSFI IIRC not CPI.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I switched out dist. caps from Autozone about every 500 miles. Come to find out, the Autozone caps sucked. Spent the money on an ACDelco one, and wa-lah. Problem still hasn't come back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The misfire is BEFORE the distributer which would mean these possible choices unless you guys can think of anything else that could cause the misfire

Coil
Ignition module
Crank position sensor(motor came with new one) it flashes steady when checked with logic probe.
Ecu man I hope not.

So I have it narrowed down to these things. Since I reused ignition module and coil from old van I may just try those first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense but are you guys even ****ing reading what I am writing?
I have said it a couple times that the misfire is BEFORE THE DISTRIBUTER. BEFORE THE DISTRIBUTER BEFORE THE DISTRIBUTE.

The COIL is sending out a MISFIRE. The COIL...... The thing that makes
The spark you know? BEFORE THE DISTRIBUTER

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
No offense but will you answer the question?

Having a degree in electronics I know you have to have a complete path in order to have a "circuit". When you have a circuit, current will flow. A timing light is an inductive pickup device that uses the magnetic field of the current flow in order to trigger the light. If the plug wire or plug are bad, you won't have a spark, therefore no current flow, and wha la, no fockin inductive charge for the light to pick up on.

You replaced the motor, distributors, injectors, etc. You haven't said a word about the plugs or wires. What if you reused the wires, the misfire you were seeing on #1, maybe you swapped sides w/ the wires when you reinstalled the engine, now you have a bad wire from #1 cylinder over on #2...

Good luck man.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Mr electrical engineer the "basics have been covered" As far as trying to swap the plug wires. It boils down to process of elimination. I have traced everything backwards down to the coil not giving me A constant output...a "misfire" but only on #2. It is a inductive style light and it is picking up every other cylinder just fine separately. It is completing the circuit but for some reason the #2 is intermitent. For now at least.

·
Founding member of DA
5,240 Posts
if the engine is misfiring its going to show up from coil to cylinder is the point wheezy is trying to make.
If the coil is going that wold most likely cause a random misfire not just cylinder 2.
try unpluging a wire off a different plug then hook up your timing light and i bet it shows a miss on that cylinder now too

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
check compression

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
I'm assuming the reason he has a bug up his ass is that he's putting multiple posts out there with good information, but you have to find all of it in order to know what he's done.

Badbaja, If I'd known you were putting out multiple posts of the same problem I wouldn't have asked about the plugs or wires. Now that some random person has bumped your previous post with more information, I have ****ing read what you wrote..

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/p0302-4-3-rough-idle-when-warm-at-idle-rich-when-started-444151/

I know LT1 ecms inside out but haven't had a chance to get into the 96+ ecms. Does the crank pulley have a trigger for all 6 cylinders? Seems like you've swapped a ton of parts with no resolution..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.