S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently have a full size chevy pickup, but I'm thinking of selling it in the spring and getting a 2-door blazer ('95 - up).

I looked at a '95 2-door that was in great shape but hte engine was shot (lower bearings). I talked to a few people and was told that the '95 Vortec is an only-year application, very difficult to find in the salvage yards, and prone to failure.

Is this true?? Should I stay away from '95 and look at '96 - up?? There seems to be some great deals on '95's from what I've seen but I don't want to get stuck with a troublesome engine.

Also, do S-10's have the same tranny problems that the full size chevy's have (or had)??

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
i could be wrong but i think the te 95 engine was the last year of the 92-95 series. in astro vans in 95 it was the same engine as in my 92 blazer. i dont know if they put a new engine into the blazers in 95 but i really doubt it.

anyways bump at least.

:monkeypee

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, I was also told that to replace the engine in a '95, the engine HAS to come from another '95 to be plug and play.

Apparently '95 is it's own animal.

Is this tue??

Thanks,

Brian

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
yeah, last year of the CPI. the only problem is '95's usually were obd 1.5, incorporating features of obd 1 and obd 2 engines. not a very swap friendly truck if you're looking to upgrade to a V8 down the road. replacing that engine though would be a piece of cake, just get another CPI and swap it.

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
VTS10 said:
BTW, I was also told that to replace the engine in a '95, the engine HAS to come from another '95 to be plug and play.

Apparently '95 is it's own animal.

Is this tue??

Thanks,

Brian
that's probably due to the obd 1.5 wiring (i don't know much about 1.5). if so then you could just get another CPI, or pretty much any other 4.3 and then just swap your intake and all the sensors over to it. there's more to it than that but it's still pretty simple to work around.

·
Early Member
3,137 Posts
I have a '95 S-10, it has 107,000 miles on it. And it is doing rather well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 95 also but TBI w/200,000 and still runs pretty good.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i think you can get a reflash to upgrade to OBD2, but thats just something i heard that wasnt confirmed. i had a 1995 that shot a rod at 67,000 miles (thanks to the dumbass previous owner who didnt know what oil did) but it ran very strong. you can get a new Jasper CPI for about $2000-$2700, depending on who you know.

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
No, the 92-95 CPI engines are EXACTLY the same, you can easily pull the engine from a 92 and stick it in a 95... The only difference is the distributor in the later half of the year... The earlier 95's that have the ECM under the dash use the same dist. as 92-94, while the later that have the ECM under the hood use the newer style dist (same as 96 to current)... That is the only difference, otherwise it's a direct bolt in replacement. I oughta know, I have a 92 and a 95 :troutslap

·
Registered
88 Posts
my friend had a 95 blaze cpi with 160k and it ran strong when he traded it in for a car cause he moved to florida, and we agreed that it would be dumb as hell for him to take a 4x4 to florida. I see it on the road every now and then usually pulling a 2 place sled trailer with sleds. still going strong

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
der is alotta 4by's down thar bo'! (thats pensacolian for, there are a lot of 4x4 down there)

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
No, the 92-95 CPI engines are EXACTLY the same, you can easily pull the engine from a 92 and stick it in a 95... The only difference is the distributor in the later half of the year... The earlier 95's that have the ECM under the dash use the same dist. as 92-94, while the later that have the ECM under the hood use the newer style dist (same as 96 to current)... That is the only difference, otherwise it's a direct bolt in replacement. I oughta know, I have a 92 and a 95
This is right on the money.Anything that has to do with a CPI rlith is the go to guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts