S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long Time, no hear...It has been a while since I have posted on this site. The "Ho Gettta" needs to pass smog (Cali, I know it sucks!!!) and it is idling about 1100 RPM's. I have replaced the IAC, cleaned the intake and other stuff. Just wondering what the normal idle speed is? should it be 900 RPM's or lower?
Thanks in advance.

Oh by the way the Barstow Bomber is evolving. Ditching the coil bucket LT kit... In the midst of building a 7" over kit for bypass and coil overs..I will post pics.
It is good to be back...
Bruce

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
Mine idles at 850rpm, and luckily has never had any issues with the emissions stuff.

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
I don't think you can adjust it. Did you check for vacuum or EGR leaks?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I can adjust it. the under throttle linkage. I am going to do it today. So i replaced the 02 sensor, EGR, PCV, Coils and new plugs. I just put "Guarantee to Pass" in it. After I go through a full tank of that, new plugs and off to the Smog place.

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
92 Posts
My 2000 has a new motor [new throttle body as well] the only thing thats original is the ecu. but mine idles at around 1000

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 95 2.2 Idles at 970rpm... the Haynes manual says that is normal and that it is not adjustable... I'm gonna look again, I think 970 is way too high.
Good Luck
Ya but the adjuster screw got it down a bit. Gonna put a new TPS in it, hopefully that will do it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 95 2.2 Idles at 970rpm... the Haynes manual says that is normal and that it is not adjustable... I'm gonna look again, I think 970 is way too high.
Good Luck
Well you are right. That little screw does nothing. So I going to put a new TPS on it. Also get some Berrymans Chemtool to spray all over it because if I am a betting man, I think I have a vaccum leak. Also going to take the TB off and clean the crap out of it..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok well i think I found the problem... That thick vacuum hose going to the brake booster. I messed with it at the booster and the idle dropped. Cut the end of the hose off and re-fit it to the booster. Fired it up and it is idling about 930-950. That is a long way from 1250-1300. It even drops way down between shifting. It use to stay hig(er) and slowly go down to 1250-1300 between gears. So now off to Cali smog. Stand by boys and girls and I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok well it failed smog!! The idle is where it needs to be, 900. But my Catalytic Converter is done!! 150,000+ miles on it. So gonna pick up a "Universal Cali legal" on and fab/install it myself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well you are right. That little screw does nothing. So I going to put a new TPS on it. Also get some Berrymans Chemtool to spray all over it because if I am a betting man, I think I have a vaccum leak. Also going to take the TB off and clean the crap out of it..
I wish mine would drop to 900... where I am in Georgia we don't have emissions testing... I am from Long Island, NY and am all too familiar with passing sniff tests. The Cat might be all you need, Summit racing has some "high flow" street legal deals. I removed mine when i had the whole exhaust done and Yes... vacuum leaks suck...literally!
Good Luck,
Scott

·
Registered
2000 2.2l sonoma Brand new motor
92 Posts
Ok well it failed smog!! The idle is where it needs to be, 900. But my Catalytic Converter is done!! 150,000+ miles on it. So gonna pick up a "Universal Cali legal" on and fab/install it myself.
Really glad i dont live in an emmisions state like california to be honest at 234k miles im pretty sure my cat is pretty dead at this point, using the obd2 reader mine idles from 896-924, my bad the rpm gauge on mine must be off.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really glad i dont live in an emmisions state like california to be honest at 234k miles im pretty sure my cat is pretty dead at this point, using the obd2 reader mine idles from 896-924, my bad the rpm gauge on mine must be off.
Ya I just ordered one from Rock Auto. i am a Rock auto'n MFR!!!!! It is not cali approved. The cali ones are about 4x more expensive. My smog guy (for 15 years) never puts it on a rack, he doesn't even have one in his shop. All he does is ask if I have a cat. Also mine has a non-cali approved cold air induction, he could care less. Looking at the one that is currently on my truck, it i isn't cali approved. So i don't know how long it has been on my truck. I have put about 124K on it and it has 315K on it...

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, my truck has the original cat and oxygen sensors, 265k miles and 18 years old. Actually, I've never touched any emissions stuff other than a vacuum switch on the air pump, only time the check engine light has ever come on besides a gas cap code. My truck has been pretty good to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts