S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 95 s10 that had a 4.3 am Looking at an 4.8 ls out of an 2006 Chevy truck am just wondering the basics to get it running an install in my s10

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Text talk doesn't translate very well on a forum. Please use punctuation and correct grammar. I'm not trying to be the school teacher, but it does help in understanding what you mean.

As for getting it in there, I've moved this to the LSx Discussion forum. Read the stickies and some of the build threads. These guys have a lot of information.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Do a search in the LS section, the basics are the same. The LS swap is more complex and expensive than the old sbc but has more hp potential...stock truck 5.3's start with 350 @ flywheel hp.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,863 Posts
Waste of time and money. Find a 5.3 or don't bother, you'll regret the 4.8 after the sunk cost of doing the engine swap just in all the mounts and whatnot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don’t want a 5.3, 4.8 has the same block as a 5.3. the only difference is 5.3 has a bigger bore an I seen 4.8 on stock bottom handle 1000hp, and last I check this isn’t your build. so if you can’t give the help I want an need then keep your 2 cents to yourself I don’t care if it’s easy or not the 4.8 stock has 290hp with a few upgrades bring it up to 450 I ain’t looking for crazy big power with a small truck big power be useless wont have the traction to lay the full power down 4.8 an 5.3 are like the 305 an 350 all parts are interchangeable but the pistons

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
Don’t want a 5.3, 4.8 has the same block as a 5.3. the only difference is 5.3 has a bigger bore an I seen 4.8 on stock bottom handle 1000hp, and last I check this isn’t your build. so if you can’t give the help I want an need then keep your 2 cents to yourself I don’t care if it’s easy or not the 4.8 stock has 290hp with a few upgrades bring it up to 450 I ain’t looking for crazy big power with a small truck big power be useless wont have the traction to lay the full power down 4.8 an 5.3 are like the 305 an 350 all parts are interchangeable but the pistons
Since you know everything there is to know about LSx engines, why are you asking for help on how to install it? People are trying to be helpful, yet you pee in their Cheerios. Save your snark for someplace else.

BTW...use punctuation.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I can see the point of someone wanting a 4.8 and sticking to it,just maybe not so much push back.
a 6.0 or 6.2 isnt for everyone,and everyone isnt doing a swap to smoke the tires off.
Theres nothing wrong with getting your feet wet with something smaller and moving up at a later date.
But I always preach to build it from the back forward.
build a rear end and trans to handle as much as you think youre going to ever throw at it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see both sides.
I just read about a 4.8 build that they stroked to a 383, it was pretty cool and made over 500 horse.
I will say that the 5.3s are a little more common so you could probably find one a little easier and make more power quicker.
I do not doubt that you have seen a 4.8 make 1000 horse, but I would like to mention that a build on Super Chevy I believe, featured a 5.3 that they boosted on the stock bottom end. They changed out the heads and gapped the rings a little bigger but the dang thing had like 160,000 miles on it and made over 70 runs over a 1000 horse pushing like 20 psi. When it finally blew, they found out it was just a lifter on #7, replaced it and the engine kept going!
There is also a popular discussion where there are postings on all of the stock dyno graphs, so you can see the difference between the 4.8 and the 5.3.

It's whatever you want man, just want to give you some info.

As far as what you will need for the swap, I agree that you should look around on the forum a little first so that you can get an idea of what you will need. Maybe we could help a little more if you could tell us what your expectations are and budget.
I will say, a pretty general consensus is to get a donor vehicle with the engine and trans you want in it, I wish I would have done that for many reasons. Wanting the 4.8 could give you a leg up in that regard if you were wanting a manual trans since their was a few years where the 4.8s and the 6.0s had manuals but not the 5.3. I had to use a 4.8/6.0 flywheel to mate my 5.3 to a manual. Even if you did not want the manual that came with those trucks, you could always swap it out and at least your wiring and computer tuning will be set up for a manual.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ouch !!! Don't know why he's asking for help, he seems to already have everything figured out.

\

·
Been there Done it
8,184 Posts

Lose the attitude. Telling the one guy who knows more about LS swaps than most of the rest of us combined to STFU isn't going to get you much help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can see the point of someone wanting a 4.8 and sticking to it,just maybe not so much push back.
a 6.0 or 6.2 isnt for everyone,and everyone isnt doing a swap to smoke the tires off.
Theres nothing wrong with getting your feet wet with something smaller and moving up at a later date.
But I always preach to build it from the back forward.
build a rear end and trans to handle as much as you think youre going to ever throw at it.
Already have a rear end that will handle the power that will handle a 1000hp so am covered there is need to know what I need exactly to make it run in my 95 s10 for The controls the fuel and senders an trans everything else is set up already

·
Been there Done it
8,184 Posts
CPW says they can build an LS harness to work in a 95. Don't know how they do it with so many possible ECM, PCM, and VCM combinations available for the same year. I'm sure they'll need to know which engine and trans came in it and what the original computer part number and broadcast code was.
Give Jared a call 727-844-7570

·
Administrator
23,069 Posts
Already have a rear end that will handle the power that will handle a 1000hp so am covered there is need to know what I need exactly to make it run in my 95 s10 for The controls the fuel and senders an trans everything else is set up already
This is your last warning. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. It would be a shame to see you go because your Talk to Text or lack of caring prevents you from using punctuation. It makes reading and deciphering your posts difficult. Please follow the Rules. Here's a link.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,863 Posts
I see both sides.
I just read about a 4.8 build that they stroked to a 383, it was pretty cool and made over 500 horse.
I will say that the 5.3s are a little more common so you could probably find one a little easier and make more power quicker.
I do not doubt that you have seen a 4.8 make 1000 horse, but I would like to mention that a build on Super Chevy I believe, featured a 5.3 that they boosted on the stock bottom end. They changed out the heads and gapped the rings a little bigger but the dang thing had like 160,000 miles on it and made over 70 runs over a 1000 horse pushing like 20 psi. When it finally blew, they found out it was just a lifter on #7, replaced it and the engine kept going!
There is also a popular discussion where there are postings on all of the stock dyno graphs, so you can see the difference between the 4.8 and the 5.3.

It's whatever you want man, just want to give you some info.

As far as what you will need for the swap, I agree that you should look around on the forum a little first so that you can get an idea of what you will need. Maybe we could help a little more if you could tell us what your expectations are and budget.
I will say, a pretty general consensus is to get a donor vehicle with the engine and trans you want in it, I wish I would have done that for many reasons. Wanting the 4.8 could give you a leg up in that regard if you were wanting a manual trans since their was a few years where the 4.8s and the 6.0s had manuals but not the 5.3. I had to use a 4.8/6.0 flywheel to mate my 5.3 to a manual. Even if you did not want the manual that came with those trucks, you could always swap it out and at least your wiring and computer tuning will be set up for a manual.
Well a 4.8 stroked to 383 isn't really a 4.8 now is it? A 4.8 and 5.3 share an identical block in terms of bore... the LR4's came with 862/706 small valve heads which are okayish but there are better factory heads, namely the 243/799's mostly due to the slightly larger valve size.

What the 4.8 has going for it is the short stroke. In virtually any American V8, a short stroke produces high RPM's easily, which produces great HP. This is actually true of a lot of European engines, most Ferrari engines have very short strokes relative to their American counterparts, and small bores too. Flat plane cranks somewhat necessitates this, physics be damned, but that's a different story. Anyway the downside is the 4.8 in stock form isn't really built to handle the RPM potential it has. A 4.8 really shines above 8,000rpm, which is fairly screaming as a LS goes. An interesting downside is that a 4.8 has lower piston velocity, and consequently lower peak negative cylinder pressure for drawing in air on the intake stroke. Pro's and con's really.

But, where the 5.3 benefits is two fold, first the 0.5L of increased displacement. At a given fuel octane, you're going to have a ceiling in CR, the more molecules of air shoved in that cylinder the better. For the same amount of money spent, and similar upgrades added, a 5.3 will pretty much always beat a 4.8. Mind you the numbers are skewed a bit as the 5.3 will produce relatively more torque than the 4.8

That's why the 383 you mention is so popular for decades, the long stroke makes it a very torqey motor.

Most guys really want torque because that's what turns the gear and moves your butt. So again, larger displacements, and longer strokes than the 4.8 produce more torque. There's a reason you don't see people putting the short stroke LS crank in a 6.0 or 6.2L to reduce it. It is 100% possible to do it, just doesn't really make much sense. Its also why the aftermarket has very little support for the short stroke crank, and the vast majority of parts are either tailored to the stock 3.622 stroke, or the longer 4.00/4.100/4.125... there's also a fairly rare 3.90 stroke aftermarket crank which is actually pretty sweet since it allows you to use a standard ring land thickness piston without needing a ring support, plus less of the piston leaves the bore at BDC so less rocking, more street life. If I was doing a daily driver stroked build I'd use the 3.90, and I've often thought of putting a 3.90 in my LS3 just for the hell of it.

Anyway, the reason I say waste of time and money, is because it is true, most guys put multiple thousands of dollars into their builds, often over 10k. A 4.8 and 5.3 cost basically the same these days. Why start with the smallest horse in the barn? Yes you can feed that horse super food and inject it with steroids to get it to 1,000 horses, but you can also do the same thing with any other bigger, better horse and get to 1,100 or 1,200 or whatever.

It isn't about defending the little motor or the legacy of the 4.8 or w/e. It is about providing advice to people to tell them how to get more bang for their same buck and more enjoyment, that is all. Granted I am fairly brusque sometimes with people on the forums, but it is what it is, read my stuff enough and you'll see I am usually generally interested in helping folks, except when I think its downright silly or stupid (e.g. the exhaust discussions...).

·
Registered
748 Posts
It's like deciding on a 305 or a 350 sbc chevy. Put vortec heads,highrise intake and a cam in a 305 and get 300 hp,do the same to a 350 and get 400 hp. I actually built a 305,,,why...I didn't want a lot of hp and had a 305 laying around plus I got a super deal on forged flat tops and a set of 98 vette alum heads (64 cc). If I was looking for over 300 hp I would have start with a 350. I paired the 305 with a 200 4r trans. great combo, plenty of power with good economy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is my 4.8l I got for free and did a mild cam and nnbs manifold on. I wanted a motor that wouldn’t just shred tires and still get decent gas mileage. Doesn’t start spinning on the street in second till it hits around 4500 rpm and it puts the power down really well, not that it’s a ton of power but the truck feels great and is no slouch. Forced induction is really the equalizer for lack of displacement. Also I think allot of people choose a 4.8l because they are less sought after then a 5.3 so that means they ,-can be had cheaper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Geez.... I rebuilt my tutu 3 years ago, still driving the 1995...after reading this (300hp and up to 1000hp) I am feeling quite inadequate! LOL, Guess I'll start looking for a wrecked Tahoe or Van to swipe the whole shebang from!
Stay Safe fella's
Scott

1 - 20 of 25 Posts