S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S10 ZR2 Extended Cab
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, forgive me for rambling here.

I recently bought a 1995 S10 ZR2 that had a broken AC system. Two mechanics worked on it and they ended up redoing most of the system. In the process, the 2nd mechanic found out I don't have the factory engine and the engine that is in my truck didn't originally come with AC. I ended up spending $1200 in total for the AC to get fixed.

Now the engine light is on.

The engine light had blinked on once before but it promptly went away and I never noticed anything wrong. This time the light came on and the truck feels down on power. It's almost as if it's towing something really heavy because it just sounds like it's strained. I've gathered that it's OBD 1.5 since the obd2 reader fitted to the connector but didn't communicate anything. I've tried jumping every different combination of ports on the receiver and nothing works. I'd really like to avoid buying a $250 reader on top of whatever the actual problem is. I know my explanation is super general but any advice would be appreciated.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
1st thing that comes to mind his a clogged cat.

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Most ZR2's no longer have the original engine 25 years later.
Whether or not the engine in there originally had A/C is totally irrelevant. You put the engine in then you bolt on the accessories, including the A/C compressor. What is more important is what did that engine come from? Between 91 and 95 Chevy made a lot of changes in the engines. All little stuff like balance shafts and roller cams, etc. But it matters to your computer. Which 4.3 do you have? TBI or CPI? The TBI will have an air filter on top. The CPI will have a bunch of aluminum tubes. What is the 8th digit of your vin?

·
Registered
1995 S10 ZR2 Extended Cab
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most ZR2's no longer have the original engine 25 years later.
Whether or not the engine in there originally had A/C is totally irrelevant. You put the engine in then you bolt on the accessories, including the A/C compressor. What is more important is what did that engine come from? Between 91 and 95 Chevy made a lot of changes in the engines. All little stuff like balance shafts and roller cams, etc. But it matters to your computer. Which 4.3 do you have? TBI or CPI? The TBI will have an air filter on top. The CPI will have a bunch of aluminum tubes. What is the 8th digit of your vin?
It's Cpi, 8th digit is a w. It's got the orange vortec lettering and I have no idea what the engine is from. Is there an engine code on the block or something?

·
time to get cereal
5,616 Posts
should be a sticker on the firewall and an RPO sticker in the glovebox.

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Those won't be much help identifying a replacement engine.
According the NastyZ28:
Engine Code Stamping Numbers
All engines are stamped with an engine ID code, consisting of assembly plant code, production date and suffix code. V8 codes are stamped on a pad just forward of the right side (passenger) cylinder head. 6 cylinder engines are stamped on the passenger side of the block behind the distributor.
Click here for Chevy Engine Code Listings
Just glancing at one or 2 of the pages I didn't see any 4.3's listed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts