S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confusing? Oh hell yea......

Ok, now I heard about the OBD1.5 stuff but this takes the cake.

Here is my cliff's notes for you:

OBDII DLC under the dash
OBDII Type Computer on Passenger wheel well in engine Compartment.

Sticker on Fan shroud says OBDI certified.

WTF! Which one is it and can I use OBDII software to view my sensor information?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Your lucky still yet, some 95s and 94s had and OBD1 computer under the kick panel or behind the glove box that used a 16 pin OBD2 connector. Those could still be jumped to get codes but required and adapter to use on a OBD1 code reader to plug into the 16 pin OBD2 port!! That confused and still does to this day anyone attempting to read codes whether a dealer or not. If its OBD2 comp, with OBD2 16pin, its OBD2 code reader!

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet, I am buying a OBDII software and hardware kit off of ebay for sensor monitoring.

Has a built in dyno and 0-60 clock too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
BlazerLT said:
Confusing? Oh hell yea......

Ok, now I heard about the OBD1.5 stuff but this takes the cake.

Here is my cliff's notes for you:

OBDII DLC under the dash
OBDII Type Computer on Passenger wheel well in engine Compartment.

Sticker on Fan shroud says OBDI certified.

WTF! Which one is it and can I use OBDII software to view my sensor information?
I have the same problem. 1995 Sonoma 4.3L W Engine. OBD II connector and OBD I on the label under the hood. The vehicle provides OBD II codes but not all code readers will work. In fact, only certain ones (e.g. not all OBDII code readers). Good luck!! Only GM would do something like that!

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found this out.

The OBDI certification and the OBDII connector and computer is the VCM-A.

I pulled this from a handy OBDII webpage:

EARLY OBDII APPLICATIONS

1994 vehicles equipped with the early OBD II systems include Buick Regal 3800 V6, Corvette, Lexus ES3000, Toyota Camry (1MZ-FE 3.0L V6) and T100 pickup (3RZ-FE 2.7L four), Ford Thunderbird & Cougar 4.6L V8, and Mustang 3.8L V6.

1995 vehicles with OBDII include Chevy/GMC S, T-Series pickups, Blazer and Jimmy 4.3L V6, Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique 2.0L four & 2.6L V6, Chrysler Neon, Cirrus and Dodge Stratus, Eagle Talon 2.0L DOHC (nonturbo), and Nissan Maxima and 240 SX.

Not all of these early applications are fully OBDII compliant, but do include the major diagnostic features of the current system.

http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library/us796obd.htm

Interesting. It's there, just not "officially".

Guess I can run the OBDII scanner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and have the same problem. I have a 95 Blazer LS 4x4 4.3 Vortec. My only problem is that it smells rich when idleing. SES light is not on and with paperclip it blinks only 12, so is this OBDI or does the paperclip work with OBDII also? It has the OBDII connector, I have tried several code readers, but they didn't help me, only 'no data' on the screen. I got 18MPG on highway, is this normal with all stock Blazer? It would be nice to hook up a laptop and watch all those sensors but I don't have a clue how to do this when it's not OBDI or OBDII? Any ideas? I want to keep the Blazer in perfect condition but right now I don't know how.A pic of the Blazer too:

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have the CPI or TBI injection?

If you can do the paperclip, you have a OBDI.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BlazerLT said:
Just found this out.

The OBDI certification and the OBDII connector and computer is the VCM-A.

I pulled this from a handy OBDII webpage:

EARLY OBDII APPLICATIONS

1994 vehicles equipped with the early OBD II systems include Buick Regal 3800 V6, Corvette, Lexus ES3000, Toyota Camry (1MZ-FE 3.0L V6) and T100 pickup (3RZ-FE 2.7L four), Ford Thunderbird & Cougar 4.6L V8, and Mustang 3.8L V6.

1995 vehicles with OBDII include Chevy/GMC S, T-Series pickups, Blazer and Jimmy 4.3L V6, Ford Contour & Mercury Mystique 2.0L four & 2.6L V6, Chrysler Neon, Cirrus and Dodge Stratus, Eagle Talon 2.0L DOHC (nonturbo), and Nissan Maxima and 240 SX.

Not all of these early applications are fully OBDII compliant, but do include the major diagnostic features of the current system.

http://hostingprod.com/@aa1car.com/library/us796obd.htm

Interesting. It's there, just not "officially".

Guess I can run the OBDII scanner.
compatible scanners can be tricky.

i have an AutoXray scanner, and it has a manufacturer specific cable that HAS to be used on my 95 S-10 CPI. the cable that works for my 2000 Blazer will not work on the S-10. the connector is the same, however the wiring to the under dash connector uses different pin outs on the 95's

oh yea, i read once that the 95's are capable of being flashed to full OBDII compliance.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cobra1 said:
compatible scanners can be tricky.

i have an AutoXray scanner, and it has a manufacturer specific cable that HAS to be used on my 95 S-10 CPI. the cable that works for my 2000 Blazer will not work on the S-10. the connector is the same, however the wiring to the under dash connector uses different pin outs on the 95's

oh yea, i read once that the 95's are capable of being flashed to full OBDII compliance.
I think that is what they did to mine.

They updated my PROM by flashing the updated code with all the latest trouble fixes etc....

Works great.

The one thing, when I was at the dealer, the manager came out with the GM Tech2 and just connected the machine with no special adapters or anything.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BlazerLT said:
I think that is what they did to mine.

They updated my PROM by flashing the updated code with all the latest trouble fixes etc....

Works great.

The one thing, when I was at the dealer, the manager came out with the GM Tech2 and just connected the machine with no special adapters or anything.

yeah, no problems on the tech2, its just with the cheaper consumer scanners.

i know if i use the wrong cable on my 95, i get a communication error.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cobra1 said:
yeah, no problems on the tech2, its just with the cheaper consumer scanners.

i know if i use the wrong cable on my 95, i get a communication error.
I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BlazerLT said:
Do you have the CPI or TBI injection?

If you can do the paperclip, you have a OBDI.
I have the CPI. I have read a lot abut this on the web lately and I think my problem is with the fuel pressure regulator. I will chek the pressure tonight and if it ain't right then I have to change the regulator, only Motormite offers it for -95 CPI. But will be cheaper than changeing the whole CPI unit, $35 vs $300.

Anyway I'm still interested in the 95 OBD mystery, has someone tried to hook a PC to it? If so, what software and cable has been used? I have read a lot on this subject also but mostly the info is for OBDII or up to 94 OBDI.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First off, please post your CPI questions in a new separate thread.

I will keep you posted on the computer mystery. Software kits and cable can be found on ebay.

Search on ebay for OBDII software.

·
DoorDragger
994 Posts
hey sorry to bring this back...
I have a 95 4.3L TBI my check engine light has been goin off an on lately. It will stay lit for about 10 seconds then go off. How do i find out the codes......a paperclip trick, what do i do?
I have an ODBll plug under my dash, my neighbors scan tool jus said link error. Help!

·
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer
1,840 Posts
BlazerLT,

Before buying the kit i suggest you stop by an auto shop and have them use their handheld obd-II scanner to make sure it's compatible. Also, which scanner hardware and software package are you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
475 Posts
BlazerLT said:
The 1995 TBI is OBDI and requires an OBDI scanner.
A regular OBDI scanner will not work because you have a 16 pin OBDII connector. You'll need one that is compatible with the OBDII type connector. The one in the link below is compatible (it actually computer software and a cable to plug a laptop in to the connector).

http://www.softwareforcars.com/AeroCart/List.asp?ID=49

A regular OBDII scanner won't work because the placement of the pins are different in the connector and of course the system is different (I've had people tell me it will work, since it has an OBDII plug).

edit: I've heard people say the paperclip trick will work, but I wasn't able to get it working. Forget which pins to jump right now. I just got a shop to read the code for me the only time I had it come on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts