S-10 Forum banner

1995 Lost electric power to accessories

602 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  thekingofmice 
#1 ·
On my way to work this morning all of my gauges, radio, wipers etc suddenly stopped working. Checked fuses quickly, none blown. Truck kept running, and once I got to work I check to see that it would start. It does, but everything else that works off the key has quit.

I'm thinking faulty ignition switch, but wanted to hear other opinions before I tore into it. Thanks guys!

1995 Sonoma SLS 2.2 Extended Cab.

#2 ·
I had a similar experience with my previous half-truck, and several other vehicles I've worked on. The ignition switch was not at fault, even though other shops had replaced them in some of those cases. The fuse panels suffer a weakness, and have since at least the late 1980s. The internal bus connections are clamped or crimped, and can fail due to oxidataion, corrosion, and the resultant resistive heat damage. The lack of reliable connections can be resolved by cleaning, etching, and soldering the busses.

The same thing happens in the UECs, right I/P panels, and rear seat panels in other GM vehicles. Simple and rudimentary electrical diagnosis is all that is required to pinpoint these problems, but a reliable schematic is essential.

#3 ·
Thanks Watthour. I'll check that first. After thinking about it, the turn signals still work and they run off the ignition switch. My oil pressure gauge is also working, but the transmission won't shift out of 1st. I assume due to lack of power to it.

This is the last thing I needed today. ?

#6 ·
Yeah, that was one of the first things thatI did when I bought the truck: I took off all the grounds and cleaned and tightened them. Never had an electrical issue with it till now. Except the wipers...changed the board yesterday. It's probably just a coincidence, but I'll unplug the new board and see what happens.

#7 ·
UPDATE.
After tearing my dash apart to trace the wiring, and finding no power at the ignition switch I traced the 12v line through the firewall to a fuse that Bubba had installed in place of a fusible link. It was blown and when I replaced it, everything worked. It did blow again, so I unplugged the wiper board that I had installed the previous day. No more blown fuse. So I need to remove and exchange my wiper board and reassemble my dashboard.

Anyway, I appreciate the input from you guys-it was very helpful! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.