S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem finding information on the transfer case on my 1995 Blazer. It's has the CPI "W" motor and the thing is, I'm swapping transmissions. I've got rid of the 4L60E and plan on using a 700R4. The only thing I'm worried about is the transfer case not engaging. I'm going to say it does need a signal from the transmission to engage or change gearing, but is there a way around that? If not, is there an identical transfer case minus the electronics? Between the two which would be easiest?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for that link. On a side note, does the transfer case operate independently or does it need that signal from the factory transmission to engage and switch positions? Because if all I have to do is mate it to the 700R4 and can engage it with the push button, I am all for that. All my wiring is still in the truck, just not the motor or transmission.

·
Registered
473 Posts
im interested in this swap. is it easy to swap a 700r4 in place of a 4l60e?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
im interested in this swap. is it easy to swap a 700r4 in place of a 4l60e?
I've been researching these transmissions and from what I've gathered, the 4L60 was essentially a 700R4. GM incorporated the name change for something. The 4L60E have a few design differences, but a 4L60E and 700R4 are almost identical in size and dimensions. My biggest worry now is trying to mate the tail shaft with the transfer case over to the 700R4. This is just a little project and I am not going to throw any serious cash down. I've got access to a machine shop for a few more weeks and a full welding shop as well, so for the most part, I'll make minor modifications like cross member, brackets, etc. But if I have to do serious fabrication I'm abandoning the project. But if you'd like I'll keep everyone updated in this swap once the 220k mile 4.3 gives out for good.

Gen I 305 Small Block: Vortec heads, Edelbrock performer intake and carb, comp cam (mild grind). Using the Vortec accessories bracket and serpentine belt system. Hoping to keep all the amenities like a/c, but definitely need 4x4 for the winter coming up for work and school and for some fun of course.

·
Stock d*mnit
104 Posts
you shouldnt need to fab anything if you get a np231 out of a second gen(they put them in as option up until 97 i believe) just have to cut a hole for the cable(or shifter..pretty sure they were cable...but youll need the console to make it look right)

the np233 is just the electric version of the manual and as far i know the dimensions are the same...the oppsite is the same of the 700r4 vs 4l60e
the difference is internal other than the plug...btw what is the 700r4 out of

·
Stock d*mnit
104 Posts
now see that info woulda helped out to begin with... youll need the adapter off of your 4l60e(fsc is 6 bolts...s10s have 5)..if you want to go to a 231/233

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_NP241.htm
http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_NP231.htm

...oh yea if that 700r4 is out of a 91 or older blazer(the box style) id keep the tcase out of it. being that it should be a passenger side drop it would allow you to run full size axles off any 70s-80s chevy if ya ever wanted to do a sas

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, I'm hoping this thing is as straight forward as it sounds. A solid front axle isn't really isn't in the future plans. This is primarily going to be a cheap and dependable winter beater. I've so far only have $700 tied into including the cost of the vehicle, so I think I'm on track on the cheap part.:haha:

Thanks for all the info, I guess Google > me, but I'm not too informed on 4x4 stuff so I guess I wasn't looking for the right stuff. I'm going to see if I can't find a NP231C case somewhere around here. I like the look of a real manual shift transfer case better than that manual conversion on the electric unit.

·
Stock d*mnit
104 Posts
yea its cleaner but like i said youd have to find one out of a 2nd gen. and get the console to make it look clean..which might be fun

·
Registered
2 Posts
you may want to watch the vacum lines that come off of the top of the transfercase, in some vehicles they control the locking of the front hubs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts