S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have just finished installing a 95 4.3 CPI into my dune buggy, but I'm having a couple of issues that you guys may be able to help me with.

The issues is that I am getting a code 54 on the CEL. I have verified that I have 12V to the pump and it's at 13.7 while running. It cycles like it should with the ignition on, and holds a steady 60 PSI. I replaced the fuel pump relay, with the same results.

After running for a few minutes it starts to run rough, and rich as hell! I have been playing with it for a day now, and have been unable to figure this out. On a hunch I did pull the cables(to clear the CEL) and I pulled the O2 sensor connection. Upon fire up, the CEL came back on, but it runs smooth and no where near as rich.Plug in the O2 sensor and it will burn your eyes out and start to run poorly.

These are the items I have on the motor:

FastChip
cutdown harness from current performance, no EGR, OIL,TEMP,Fan controls, etc...just the basics

EGR block off
new spider
upper plenum gasket
fresh tuneup

I would appriciate any ideas yall might have so I can get this thing out tothe desert!

·
Registered
57 Posts
As far as the code 54, if you're getting good voltage I'd check all your grounds to make sure they're all good. Bad grounds can read as low voltage. I'm guessing that you have the obd1 version so you have only 1 o2 sensor. It might be faulty. Other issues that can cause a rich condition are vacuum leak and water temp sensor. On my blazer it took until the temp sensor failed and was leaking to throw a code. This is the 2 wire sensor by the thermostat housing not the one in the left head that feeds the gauge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts