S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 Chevy S10 LS - 4.3L V6 Vin W, automatic transmission.

Truck was running fine, then no start. Put in new starter about 6 months ago.
Installed new ignition switch on the column - No Joy
Installed new ground battery cable - No Joy
Disconnected positive cable, and took it in to have one made. They checked it out and tell me it is in good working order.
Replaced ignition switch wire to starter from just outside where it goes into main wiring harness.
Fully charged the battery for good measure - No Joy

All this, and when I put the key inn to turn it on, lights buzzers everything works turn the key and silence, nothing!

Anyone out there that can tell me where the neutral safety switch is, and how to bypass to see if that is the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
246 Posts
can you jump the starter lugs and make it work?do you have 12v at the starter hot lug? Do you have a good engine ground...and battery ground cable for that matter?same wire-different ends). Yoe are working the problem from the opposite end than I would-just saying. cables good thats good. now how far down the line is the power getting to?.Have you tried running jumper cables to the starter lugs?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure on a 94 it's on the steering column. I had an issue with my 94 where it burnt the signal wire going to the starter in the harness. Mine burned inside the plug over the master cylinder inside the plastic cover. I had to bypass the connector. Also is your shift linkage worn out? Try wiggling the shifter or starting in neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an automatic, cannot start in neutral, only in park. I am believing that it is the wire that you had burn out. No signal to activate the starter. But that is just my guess, as I am totally ignorant when it comes to electrical problems.Should I just run a new wire outside the harness?

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 94 is an automatic as well, you can key the truck on then shift to neutral to try to start it. There is a linkage on the fire wall that runs to the shift linkage on the transmission.The bushing on mine wore out by the frame, and i had to wiggle it sometimes to get it to read park. As for the wire, I cut both ends out of the connector and then spliced them together.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Disconnected positive cable, and took it in to have one made. They checked it out and tell me it is in good working order.
Replaced ignition switch wire to starter from just outside where it goes into main wiring harness.

All this, and when I put the key inn to turn it on, lights buzzers everything works turn the key and silence, nothing!

Anyone out there that can tell me where the neutral safety switch is, and how to bypass to see if that is the problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an intermittent problem similar to your description some years back that was very painful. I will get to the outcome and spare you the experience. On top of the engine in the thick harness, there is a place where approx. 5 ground wires are soldered together the innermost ground wire somehow didn't accept the solder at all as if it was coated with something or not prepared first. It was a fluke that I found it since they were all taped together tight then wrapped up with the rest of the harness. A basic test light is a very useful tool, swapping out parts can add up! Best of luck, let us know

·
Registered
2 Posts

Starter solenoid is built into the starter if it's bad it won't work I've had this happen with a brand new starter that is why I mentioned it good luck with your journey Money Pit S10

1 - 8 of 8 Posts