S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought the above mentioned vehicle.

I am from Texas but have recently been stationed in Alaska where I bought this truck. I am not mechanically inclined but am going to use this truck to learn. I will have an enclosed garage so plenty of time in the winter to work on it.

I hope to chronicle everything I accomplish and fail to accomplish with the truck. I want to tell ya'll about everything I am doing with the truck and get your input. I am not going to hide any of my failures from ya'll.

Known Problems: Burning oil likely a dead or dying piston, Clutch is very tight, brakes are a little soft, most dash buttons don't work, display says 4x4 hi is engaged but appears to be wrong, missing door key, rear window latch inop, rear window hydraulic stand missing.

I know next to nothing about repairing vehicles, please give your input. Thanks ya'll.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Burning oil on startup with blue smoke is common. Valve seals are rubber material and leak small amounts into the combustion chamber. That is likely your issue. Blowing blue smoke continuously is more rare and is likely worn rings which can be checked with a compression test. A tight clutch? These trucks have a hydraulic clutch so check the reservoir and fill it up with brake fluid. The master behind the pedal controls the slave on the clutch. The line can form leaks and the slave can leak into the trans sometimes hiding the leak. What do you mean by tight? I would almost describe tight as a good thing. Welcome to the forum. Are you a tbi vin z or cpi with spider? Breaks are your basic vacuum boosted master with discs up front and drums in back. Brakes are normally solid on these trucks so just check lines for leaks and check the rear wheel brake cylinders for leaks and overhaul them. Easy fix. 4x4hi could be the "orb" vacuum canister under the hood. The "orb" is a softball size rubber ball that holds vacuum to engage the front axle. This commonly loses vacuum or fails and causes 4x4 issues. Does low work perfectly but high is only 2wd?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts