S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1994 GMC Sonomo (ext cab, 4wd, CPI Engine Code W) and there is an transfer case oil leak where the actuator cable connects to the transer case. I removed the actuator cable and cleaned the external rubber seal as best I could, as no one seemed to have a replacement, but this did not solve the problem. I suspect the problem is with a seal inside the transfer case. I assume that you have to remove the axle going to the passenger side front wheel to get access to the seal.

My main problem is trying to identify the transfer case model as I cannot see any id on the case. I did a VIN check and it says it should have a NP231 but any diagrams I check do not seem to match what I have installed.

Any help, as parts stores do not seem to knowledgeable, when it comes to transer cases would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
NP 231 has a manual floor shifter, the NP233 has the electronic push button to change it to and from 4x4. Which one do you have?

I can get you diagrams on how to repair either one, just need an email and let me know what you have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts