S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the question. I have a '92 2wd Sonoma with a 2.8 and manual 5 speed trans. I want to swap the 2.8 for a 283 and still keep the 5 speed and rear-end. The 283 is a 1967 short block and I want to stick with the carb. What will I need to do?:dunno: Sorry, I know the list probably goes on but just a general idea will do for now. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You'll be better off swapping out trans. The V6 uses a different input spline than the V8, and therefore would require a custom clutch disc, or art the very lady's a mish mash of parts when it's easily avoided.

Other deep stuff will be covered in the V8 forum.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
You can use the T5 with this:
http://hamiltonintakes.com/products/s10-t-5-swap-adapter
You will have to have the GM bell housing, the S10 clutch disc and a hydraulic slave cylinder.
Raven is accurate, by the time you use the stock T5, you will be into it for about (spacer plate $165 and internal Throw Out bearing assembly About $185 with the remote bleeder kit) $350.
The T5 is not very strong either.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You'll be better off swapping out trans. The V6 uses a different input spline than the V8, and therefore would require a custom clutch disc, or art the very lady's a mish mash of parts when it's easily avoided.

Wow, that made little sense... damn phone...

Here's what it's supposed to read:

You'll be better off swapping out trans. The V6 uses a different input spline than the V8, and therefore would require a custom clutch disc, or at the very least a mish mash of parts when it's easily avoided.

Other swap stuff will be covered in the V8 forum.

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
^^^I sort of figured you were either booze bagging or your phone was taking over the function... :p:haha:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok thanks. What would be the easiest manual trans to swap it out for?

·
Boozebag
8,995 Posts
Most probably the NV 3500.
The shifter is in a different location IIRC (compared to the T5).
The NV 3500 has an internal hydraulic throw out bearing which is most of the issue.
The bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the 283 block.

There are many forum members who have done this swap successfully. Check out BennsB... I think he has a T56 now, but he started out with an NV 3500 if my memory is working....
It's been a while since I looked through his thread...
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/87-project-s10-444959/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Mad Max
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing