S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 s10 with 4.3, it starts but I have to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it running. It has new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. New oil pressure sending unit. All vacuum lines have been checked. Has new temp sensor. Just did a throttle body rebuild with all new o rings and gaskets. Check engine light is not on and has no codes. I'm lost and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
266 Posts
265,000 miles is rather a lot....Congratulations! Are those miles all yours? If so, seems like the fuel injectors have never been cleaned. Even if that's not your issue, it would certainly be a good thing to do. You can remove and physically clean them or replace them if they're too far gone. Alternatively you can try a fuel system cleaner, which is used simply by adding to the fuel tank. There are many types/brands. I don't have experience but have heard from multiple sources that Seafoam doesn't do squat....waste of money. I have used Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner multiple times and have been pleased with the results. Advance Auto sells for $6.79 at the moment. Rather inexpensive, will probably help, and will not hurt......

·
Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
266 Posts
Having the injectors out is step 1. Step 2 would be actually cleaning them. If the injectors were reinstalled without cleaning, then whatever blockage was there remains.....

·
Registered
2002 S10 2WD (4.3L, AT)
266 Posts
The inside of the injectors may have carbon build-up, which interferes with fuel injection. The Gumout (or other) fuel system cleaner will help clean those carbon deposits. It may not be your issue, but it's worth a try.....

·
Been there Done it
14,584 Posts
Then this is a TBI not CPI? Have you looked down at the spray pattern from both injectors. It should be a nice round spray. An old fashioned timing light makes it real easy to see the spray.

Reactions: Big Buford

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't yet. Could it be the fuel pump? If I let it sit for like 30 minutes I'll have to spray starter fluid in it to get it to start again. Yes it's TBI.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 1992 s10 with 4.3, it starts but I have to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it running. It has new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. New oil pressure sending unit. All vacuum lines have been checked. Has new temp sensor. Just did a throttle body rebuild with all new o rings and gaskets. Check engine light is not on and has no codes. I'm lost and any help is appreciated.
Did problem show up after throttle body rebuild or did you rebuilt it to try to solve problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem years ago, I cleaned the TBI real good still had the issue. I finally replaced it with a Holley 670cfm TBI, the problem stopped, runs amazing now. The linkage of the Holley TBI is a little tricky though to hook up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts