S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 434 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the first gen s10 upss now for a few months. the more i look at them, the more i like them.

I've seen a few project threads on here that really helped me make up my mind.

i've been watching craigslist for about 4 months now and today something caught my eye.

It's a trade in to the dealership. They just wanted to get rid of it asap. They wanted 1950$ for it before taxes. After all is said and done, I paid 1920$ for it, and that included Taxs, Tags and Registration. It has 86k miles on the v6 and its a manual transmission. tires are pretty much brand new. Carfax says its never been in a wreck.

I'm pretty happy with it. There is some surface rust, the front bumper is pushed up a little, and the front fenders have some slight damage. but nothing that can't be fixed. the inside needs some love...

but honestly.. im really happy and excited about it.

Here are the pictures from the craigslist ad.

So far here are my plans:

1. Replace Front Bumper.
2. Repair front quarter pannels.
3. Sand off all body rust, and primer
4. Fix the head liner on the inside. Looks terrible.
5. Get rid of side moldings, fill any holes and primer
6. 4/5 drop on it.
7. Dash is pretty beat up and cracked. Wonder if I can fix it, or should just replace it.
8. Replace Carpet inside.
9. Recover Seats.
10. strip the paint, fixed all dings, primer it black.
11. bags.
12. bag it.

I'll post more pictures when I pick it up tomorrow.

39,524 Posts
trucks sweet dude,damn u texas and ur rust free cars and trucks!!!! i like ur plans and as far as the dash goes just get one from the east coast,our interiors hold up better cuz they don't get beat on by the heat and sun like out west. also theres no holes behind the body moldings except for the bumpers so use a heat gun and a bondo scraper and just go slow and pull em off then clean up the remaining gooey shit with sum GOO-B-GONE and you'll be good to go but the paint underneath will prolly be all shiny and kick ass lookin lol

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trucks sweet dude,damn u texas and ur rust free cars and trucks!!!! i like ur plans and as far as the dash goes just get one from the east coast,our interiors hold up better cuz they don't get beat on by the heat and sun like out west. also theres no holes behind the body moldings except for the bumpers so use a heat gun and a bondo scraper and just go slow and pull em off then clean up the remaining gooey shit with sum GOO-B-GONE and you'll be good to go but the paint underneath will prolly be all shiny and kick ass lookin lol
thats awesome information! thats what I was hoping for!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it home today. Drove it around for awhile. I haven't driven a standard in like 8 years but was able to do it.

It sounds like the drive shaft is vibrating. I have a feeling that the bearings are going out on it. Should be an easy fix. Shifting seems ok.

I have to be honest, even tho its a modest start.. i felt pretty freaking cool driving it. I'm really excited. Here are todays pictures.

Tail gate needs to be cleaned up. That should be pretty easy.

You can see where this guy bumped into something or someone. bumper is pushed up with a little fender damage. I think with some effort I can fix the fender.

Front shot. I'd like to get a phantom grill on it.. but that can wait for now. Also want to replace the lower valence, rust looks like crap.

Damage on the other fender. Again, fixable.

Tried to get a decent shot over the top.

Inside looks a little beat.. But I really like the seats. In those bags and boxes are door pin replacements. The pass door doesn't have a problem, but the drivers side door sags pretty bad.

Looks like the head liner came off and the old owner just ripped it off. Yes.. its looks pretty disgusting.. But a little bit of effor and time will make it look nice.

Dont think the jump seats where ever used.

Drivers side door pannel.

Bed shot.

And thats it..

As you can see.. it needs some work. I'm going replace the carpet with a black carpet replacement. Head liner will be black, dash will be taken out cleaned up and dyed or painted black. Doors.. black. Seats in time will be black.

Today, I just plan on fixing the doors.

I ordered an LMC Catalog last night. Once I get that in, all the rubber surrounds are going to get replaced.

Next.. moldings come off.

I'm excited.

if im doing something wrong in any of my repairs or you know a better way to do it.. please let me know! I wanna do it right and not waste my time.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just finished replacing the door pins and bushing. what huge difference.

I didn't realize I'd have to take the door off to get the bushing out. Good thing it doesn't have power windows or locks. No wires to the door to deal with. I just got the pins out, stuck a screw driver in the hinges till i was ready to pick it up and I set it on my table.

easy stuff.

tomorrow, heat gun, scrapper to get the side molding off. Some sanding blocks and paper to sand down the tail gate.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got the moldings off today.. still some residue that needs to be cleaned up..

sorry for the crappy photo.

think it needs transmission work, so im going to get that squared away before i do anything else.

39,524 Posts
you gotta take a dremel or round file to the inside hub area of them rims for em to fit on the 1st gens cuz the hubs on the older trucks are a lil bigger. not sure how much material has to be removed but i don't think it's alot,maybe measure the i.d. of the hub hole on one of ur stock rims and go from there or there may be a thread on it on here i'm not sure. lookin good tho man

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing to crazy. Clean inside, static dropped 3/4. I'd like to do a flat black paint job. It'll have primer spots on it for sometime. I want everything black on the inside. Seats, dash, headliner doors. But I'd like a chrome shifter knob. But I don't want to tint it at all. I want it just super clean. I'm not even going to replace the factory stereo. I want people to be able to look inside and go.. "Nothing to steal here". I don't even plan on ever locking the camper top.

Gotta keep the camper top tho.. I DJ and i need something to stuff my DJ gear into. If it gets dingged a little, thats fine. My blazer xtreme is my baby and I hate taking it downtown. When we rent sound for shows, having a 2nd truck to move stuff around will be awesome.

·
Hot Rod Enthusiast
2,350 Posts
Nothing to crazy. Clean inside, static dropped 3/4. I'd like to do a flat black paint job. It'll have primer spots on it for sometime. I want everything black on the inside. Seats, dash, headliner doors. But I'd like a chrome shifter knob. But I don't want to tint it at all. I want it just super clean. I'm not even going to replace the factory stereo. I want people to be able to look inside and go.. "Nothing to steal here". I don't even plan on ever locking the camper top.

Gotta keep the camper top tho.. I DJ and i need something to stuff my DJ gear into. If it gets dingged a little, thats fine. My blazer xtreme is my baby and I hate taking it downtown. When we rent sound for shows, having a 2nd truck to move stuff around will be awesome.
Haha I hear that, thats the reason I'm tinting mine because people say "theres good shit to steal there" haha

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No pictures today.

I got the clutch fixed.. however 2 other things popped up.

the power strearing pump is leaking, and they said its leaking coolent, but not bad. I think I can fix those myself. I'm going to try anyway. Let me know if I shouldn't.

However.. I noticed today that I don't even need to stick a key in the ignition for it to start. I can just turn the rabbit ears on the ignition with no key and it starts right up.

Do I need any special tooks to replace that?

1 - 20 of 434 Posts