S-10 Forum banner

1991 TBI Idle Loping

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ReeceB 
#1 ·
Idle is going up and down really bad. Drops down to about 400-500 comes back up to where it should be 800-900. If I step on the gas it doesn't help at all.

I drive the truck about 200 miles a week. Every now and then this would happen while I'm cruising but never got this bad. Injectors appear to be spraying good. She's not throwing any codes. I've replaced the fuel filter twice hoping to get lucky lol.

I went ahead and tried pulling the IAC, PCV, and EGR valves, cleaned them, stuck them back in. Nothing

This is what I'm dealing with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRoTQ6OAsxg

I'd really appreciate the help guys thanks.

#2 ·
Of the three parts you've pulled, PVC and EGR wouldn't impact idle like you describe. My guess would be the IAC.

I've had other vehicles, mainly Acuras, do the same thing...what I call porpoising...idle going up and down. On these vehicles, the problem disappeared once I replaced/cleaned the IAC.

#4 ·
I replaced the IAC Valve with a new one. First time started right up and rpms shot up to 2000 rpm. I turned off, tried again, same thing. I did some quick research and tried unplugging the battery to reset the ecm. Plugged it back in, started her up, Went back to porpoising up and down.

I removed the new one, put the old one back on. I start it up rpm shoots up to 1400 and stays there for about 20 seconds then goes back to porpoising up and down. Any thoughts?

#8 ·
The seat is where the tapered end on the plunger shaft seals in the throttle body.Spray carb cleaner on a small rag on the end of a screwdriver and use it to clean the seat.After reinstalling the IAC valve,wiggle and tug on the wires at the plug and see if anything changes.

#11 ·
Boulky12,

Have you solved your problem? If yes, what did you do? If not, then here's a different suggestion.

These TBI vehicles have a bunch of sensors which feed the ECM and could result in your situation. You've fiddled with two (IAC and TPS) which many of us would first suspect to be the culprit. At some point, you need to abandon remove and replace approach because it gets expensive.

My next suggestion is rebuild your TBI. I've done it and, for someone good with taking apart and putting things back together, it really isn't that difficult. I say rebuild rather than get a reman because, like carbs, they aren't exactly the same and, many times, are NOT interchangeable. A rebuild kit from NAPA will cost around $50 or so.

So, get a couple cans of carb cleaner, your tools, a couple of brushes, and a pan and have at it. It shouldn't take more than an hour. Be careful with the both fuel lines when reinstalling...you don't want to strip the threads.

Hopefully, rebuilding your TBI will solve the problem. If not, we'll discuss some other things to do.

#13 ·
Wow, so many wasteful siggestions.

When's the last time you did a full tune up? What's the fuel pressure at while running at idle and under load (not just a free rev)?
What's your base timing set at?

Most of the time problems like this can be solved with a simple tune up and check/reset of systems.

#14 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Nice thing is though that with either TunerPro or WinAlDL, I can plug the laptop in and see what everything is doing at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.