S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1989 s10 4.3 with auto transmission. So where do we start? I was driving home came to a stoplight and it tried to die on me but i did the 2 foot method to keep it running. Well made it home and as soon as I pulled in it shut down and would not fire back up. I could pour fuel down its trought and still nothing. Next day fired up ran good then about 10 minutes later trying to die. So i parked it and replaced knock sensor.. idel control valve.. throttle sensor. rebuilt the throttle body with new fuel pressure regulator spring. And a new main computer box. After all that still has a low idle and stills try to die somtimes. And also wires plugs cap all that good stuff to and new fuel filter. So what could i be missing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also it has a slight miss at idle. But when you're driving down the road it runs great just when at idle at a stop light

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the only reason I replaced the main computer box was a friend of mine bought one for his truck and never installed it before he sold it. So i figured its worth a shot

·
Administrator
21,825 Posts
Not sure if the earlier years play nice with an ecm that's not vin matched. Probably too crude back hen to make a difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i just popped it in to see if would make any difference my brother has a computer thing ( i don't want it is called) that reprogrammed when you put a box in. And it didn't change a thing. And he ran my truck for codes and all clean. The only thing his computer said was it was running a little rich.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed both of them as well. That's actually the first thing i changed was the the o2 sensor and then the temp sensor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just went through the same thing on my 89. My problem was the fuel pump. You should check your pressure, it should be at 12 PSI. Mine was at 4.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went through the same thing on my 89. My problem was the fuel pump. You should check your pressure, it should be at 12 PSI. Mine was at 4.
I checked it last weekend when i replaced the fuel filter and it was at 12. I thought the same thing fuel pump going bad but it was holding at 12. Its a great truck had it for 8 years and first real problem ever had so can't complain to much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts