S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The lights were not working in the instrument cluster so I decided to take it off. Well the bulbs are good but the circuit board thing is completely rusted away. It looks like it comes off but I have no idea how I would find a new one. Any ideas how to repair or replace this?

Its an 1988 S10 2.5 with 5 speed manual.

Edit : Found the only one available on Ebay for $55. It says its for an 86 but looks identical to my 88. I will update when. It comes in and try to swap it out.

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe this is from the windshield leaking down on the dash and dripping directly onto the cluster.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,698 Posts
Year/model would help.

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I found one on ebay that will work. $55 but it says its for an 86. It looks identical to mine that is an 88. Anyone have experience swapping these out?

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
567 Posts
There are companies that make replacement printed circuit boards for older vehicles, I don't know offhand if any of them make one for s10 instrument clusters. If you can find a new printed circuit, it would be an easy thing to swap out and that would be the best option, imo. Just google 1988 s10 IP printed circuit and see what comes up.

Reactions: ColinWalls

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased the only one I could find on ebay. It was $55 and looks to be the identical one for my instrument cluster. It says its for an 86-87 but everything looks the same as my 88. Will update when it comes in and I swap it out.

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are companies that make replacement printed circuit boards for older vehicles, I don't know offhand if any of them make one for s10 instrument clusters. If you can find a new printed circuit, it would be an easy thing to swap out and that would be the best option, imo. Just google 1988 s10 IP printed circuit and see what comes up.
I couldn't find a new one and found 1 used one on ebay that hopefully works.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
435 Posts
You should be ok with ‘86 up to I believe ‘90. I think ‘91 was the change over year to the different style like my ‘94.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out Facebook Marketplace too. I've had a ton of luck locating NOS parts for my '89. Also, there are aftermarket companies that make replacement kits. They are not cheap though. Also, I would recommend buying this book. I'm restoring my truck now and it's been a lifesaver. You can find it cheaper if you look though.

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check out Facebook Marketplace too. I've had a ton of luck locating NOS parts for my '89. Also, there are aftermarket companies that make replacement kits. They are not cheap though. Also, I would recommend buying this book. I'm restoring my truck now and it's been a lifesaver. You can find it cheaper if you look though.

Good idea about Facebook. I have access to ProDemand since we buy it for work so I have all the manuals and guides on my PC.

·
Registered Gun Owner
85 Posts
I just pulled one from my local junk yard. Ended up making a new cluster altogether. Looks better in my opinion and nkt perfect but definitely better then the stock one.

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just pulled one from my local junk yard. Ended up making a new cluster altogether. Looks better in my opinion and nkt perfect but definitely better then the stock one. View attachment 344617
Wow that does look good! Is there a guide on how to do that? My local junk yards do not have much left of first gen S10s. I found a PCB on ebay though.

·
Registered Gun Owner
85 Posts
No guide just some trial and error lol. What i did it found the pinout diagram online and then made a harness with plug, in case i need to remove it, then took piece of cardboard made template and then fiberglassed that to factory cluster to strengthen it. Bought everything off jegs. Key is to find the right gauge based on resistance. Had to get an adapter for speed cable. Wasn't a hard job just allot of planning and patience
Top pic was original design but wouldn't fit so moved 2 small ones to A piller.

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No guide just some trial and error lol. What i did it found the pinout diagram online and then made a harness with plug, in case i need to remove it, then took piece of cardboard made template and then fiberglassed that to factory cluster to strengthen it. Bought everything off jegs. Key is to find the right gauge based on resistance. Had to get an adapter for speed cable. Wasn't a hard job just allot of planning and patience
Top pic was original design but wouldn't fit so moved 2 small ones to A piller.
View attachment 344621
View attachment 344622
Wow thats really cool and nice work. I for sure do not have the patience for something like that with this truck.

·
Registered Gun Owner
85 Posts
Thanks. Re-did it since had previously replaced cluster and then had problems later that year. Turn out ground for deiver front light was bad. Fixed it and never had a problem. Issue we had was when you signaled high beams would flash so i assumed it was the ribbon cable since it was delaminatung

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. Re-did it since had previously replaced cluster and then had problems later that year. Turn out ground for deiver front light was bad. Fixed it and never had a problem. Issue we had was when you signaled high beams would flash so i assumed it was the ribbon cable since it was delaminatung
Good thing to note, what year is your s10?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts