S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I recently pulled my distributor to replace the O ring and put a gasket on the base and OMG this took me literally hours to pull out. I had to get a crowbar and pull straight up to get it and I've pulled plenty of distributors and never had anything like that.

I'm setting the timing and cleaned up my timing tab and when I set my light to 0 it needs to be flashing at 10* on the timing tab, correct? I have a haynes manual but am not seeing this in there.

I had a nasty oil leak and am hoping this will fix it. It seems to also be leaking from the other side on the oil pressure switch and that's next up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I plugged everything back in and now the timing is sitting at 50+ so I assume there's a type of vacuum advance that I've hooked up. I didn't have the air cleaner or any of that connected when I set the timing.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,357 Posts
I believe there is a tan wire on the passenger side in the interior fire wall that needs to be disconnected in order to time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe there is a tan wire on the passenger side in the interior fire wall that needs to be disconnected in order to time.
I'm reading thru some old posts and it sounds like I'm needing to unplug the wire, set timing at 0 and then it advances it 10. I pulled back my kick panel and didn't see it at all so will have to look tomorrow. I still can;t believe the hassle changing the dizzy gasket turned into on this.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
Wish I had seen this before now. Those o-rings are notorious for drying out and leaking. A paper gasket for a 350 distributor placed under the distributor base in addition to a new o-ring will save you a lot of headaches. I've seen these leak even when just a few months old. The $0.25 gasket is good insurance of keeping the leaks at bay. I've learned a lot about 2.8s over the years and ending leaks. My truck doesn't leak a drop anywhere anymore. That distributor gasket and the valve covers are the two biggest culprits. Just FYI, the trick on the valve cover gaskets is to use ONLY rubber gaskets, and don't use any RTV, except where the head interferes with the intake. A dab on top, and a dab on bottom. Torque properly, and zero leaks...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wish I had seen this before now. Those o-rings are notorious for drying out and leaking. A paper gasket for a 350 distributor placed under the distributor base in addition to a new o-ring will save you a lot of headaches. I've seen these leak even when just a few months old. The $0.25 gasket is good insurance of keeping the leaks at bay. I've learned a lot about 2.8s over the years and ending leaks. My truck doesn't leak a drop anywhere anymore. That distributor gasket and the valve covers are the two biggest culprits. Just FYI, the trick on the valve cover gaskets is to use ONLY rubber gaskets, and don't use any RTV, except where the head interferes with the intake. A dab on top, and a dab on bottom. Torque properly, and zero leaks...
Interestingly enough I just solved an insanely massive oil leak and it was coming from the 2 prong oil pressure switch. It was insanely bad and hard to figure out where it was coming from. Had to buy the special socket and spend $13 but so worth it. I did put a paper gasket I had for a 350 in addition to a new o ring on the distributor. I got my timing set and drove it around but my distributor placement is all out of whack due to not finding the wire for ECM. I did still have the sticker on my truck telling me to disable that before setting timing thought.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
I've had that pressure switch fail before too, but it just caused the pump to run all the time. Sounds good. That paper gasket will stop it from coming back. Glad you got it going.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts