S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_6930.JPG
We have a 16 year old grandson with some serious health problems. While he is going through treatments, we are going to fix up our old 1987 S10 short box regular cab 2WD truck for him. It hasn't seen much for winter over the years, so the body is very good. He likes the wheels from the 1980s IROC Camaros. Does anyone know what would fit without hacking the body. It has the factory stamped steel sport wheels now. The dash has a big crack. Any way to repair that would be appreciated. It will get painted in his favourite colour as well.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
301 Posts
Sounds like a great project. Those wheels should bolt right on with no hacking of the body. Tire size should stay in a height that is close to stock but maybe alittle wider like a 215/65R15 or even a 245/60R15. Good luck and have fun with your build.

·
Been there Done it
7,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice old truck and it sounds like worthy project.

Coverlay makes a molded plastic overlay that looks much better than an ill fitting carpet overlay. Comes in a variety of colors.
Stockinteriors.com carries what appears to be the same item for more money, but they're website explains the covers in more detail:

About the only other option is take the dash to a custom upholstery shop and pay the piper. Fine for high end show trucks.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
I don't know what your skills are but here's a short guide to dashboard repair. With cracks you have to dig out the bad stuff and make a "V" shaped channel, fill it with polyurethane welding rod, use some flexible dashboard filler, sand, prep, and paint. Kind of like body work but spongy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning to the dash covers shown in the previous post. I can order these pieces and have them installed. The 73 year old body of mine isn't what it used to be but I can still do the planning. I restored a couple of cars many years ago, so I do know the routine.

·
Boozebag
9,038 Posts
I have 2 sets of the early IROC wheels. I had them on a few of my s10s.
The best tire combination I found was 215/65 or 60 -15s.They fit the wheels perfectly.
225s or even 235s are ok but the bigger the tire, they start to look a little balloonish on the wheels.

Looks like a nice start for a project - especially since there is little or not rust involved.
The dog house on the back is a little scary though.

Oh - and a suggestion: the fender trim and running boards are like a magnet to salt.
If this rig will be driven in winter, I recommend removing them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may be wrong but I think the 15" wheels are the Z28 sport wheels and the IROCs are the 16" wheels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts