Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

I recently (today) just bought an 87 chevy s-10! It runs and drives just fine however it has no power steering. Took the belt off to put on a new one and that's when I learned that the bracket which holds the pump is cracked in half. I've searched high and low (except junk yards, have to wait until tomorrow for that), for a replacement with no luck. I did find this on rock auto for the 2.5L:
rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1987,s10+pickup,2.5l+151cid+l4,1060782,steering,power+steering+pump+bracket,12663

Can anyone help me find what I need? Will the one for the 2.5L work in a 2.8? It looks very similar but I'm told it has to be exactly the same.

Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't know the answer to your question, but it may be a common problem. I've got an '87 2.8L, and I think I'm on my third power steering bracket. Getting harder to find in the junkyards! I came across your question when searching the forum to see if this was a common problem, and what fix (if any) there may be.

I'm going to post my problem, and see what shows up. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know the answer to your question, but it may be a common problem. I've got an '87 2.8L, and I think I'm on my third power steering bracket. Getting harder to find in the junkyards! I came across your question when searching the forum to see if this was a common problem, and what fix (if any) there may be.

Hey thanks for the response at least! I think a big issue is they appear to be aluminum which is a pretty weak metal. Wonder if I could redesign it in some kind of CAD program and send out the design to a company that manufactures metal parts with a much stronger material?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Also if you could give me any tips on getting the part of the bracket off the motor that would be extremely appreciated!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,994 Posts
You're just gonna have to get your hands dirty and poke around.

Reactions: Starhound

·
Been there Done it
11,450 Posts
What is so unusual about only the 87 that makes them prone to breakage? There are 2 threads running now with the same issue. Anybody tried one off an 86 or 88? Or added a steel strap or plate between the part that breaks and the rest of the mount? For years GM SBC PS pumps had steel braces on them.

Reactions: Starhound

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is so unusual about only the 87 that makes them prone to breakage? There are 2 threads running now with the same issue. Anybody tried one off an 86 or 88? Or added a steel strap or plate between the part that breaks and the rest of the mount? For years GM SBC PS pumps had steel braces on them.
Unsure why, mine appeared to be original to the truck though. I did find a junk yard that has an 86 s-10 and an 89 s-10 but they were also unsure if those would work. So I have a few friends and local shops looking around... If I have to go rip out the 86 bracket I'll let you all know if it works!

Also i decided to just replace everything. Hoses and pump. Would be a real shame just to get a new bracket and put it all back on to find out it's got a bad pump too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update! I found the exact part needed in almost new condition from a junkyard about 90 minutes away. Went and picked it up today and they didn't want to take the pulley off so I ended up getting the bracket, pump, pulley, hoses, and reservoir for just $35! So picked that up obviously (worth the drive).

Now I'm looking into issues with my driver side window. Appears the window isn't connected to the actuator/mechanism that pushes/pulls it up and down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where did you find your bracket? Did you look at both the 86 and the 89? I still can't find one around here, and can't really seem to interest anyone if putting it out on their parts locator. If the yard where you got yours has another, I'll call them!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where did you find your bracket? Did you look at both the 86 and the 89? I still can't find one around here, and can't really seem to interest anyone if putting it out on their parts locator. If the yard where you got yours has another, I'll call them!
I found mine at a place in Brooksvile, Florida called 98Autocyclers. They had my 87, so I didn't go look at the 86 or 88 which was found at different locations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also I did take the old bracket to a custom auto parts shop, and they told me they would be able to re-create the bracket from a stronger material (Steel I imagine), but it would have been very expensive (a few hundred dollars). Might be worth the cost for a stronger metal that'll last much longer. Hope this helps you!

·
Been there Done it
11,450 Posts
Is there any way to add a plate on the front or a brace?

·
the new guy
905 Posts
I have one from a 92 ( we took the 2.8 out of my son's because it was knocking) so I can easily take it off and take measurements or any pics you guys need to compare it to yours. I see the one in the pic above is a serpentine belt so it seems to be fuel injected like the 92. maybe they are exactly the same?

·
the new guy
905 Posts
just be sure to hit quote reply so I get a message on what you guys want or I might forget to come back to this thread

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have one from a 92 ( we took the 2.8 out of my son's because it was knocking) so I can easily take it off and take measurements or any pics you guys need to compare it to yours. I see the one in the pic above is a serpentine belt so it seems to be fuel injected like the 92. maybe they are exactly the same?
Here's what the part looks like, minus the little broken piece.
IMG_9079.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick update! I found the exact part needed in almost new condition from a junkyard about 90 minutes away. Went and picked it up today and they didn't want to take the pulley off so I ended up getting the bracket, pump, pulley, hoses, and reservoir for just $35! So picked that up obviously (worth the drive).

Now I'm looking into issues with my driver side window. Appears the window isn't connected to the actuator/mechanism that pushes/pulls it up and down.
Those power steering pump brackets are tougher to find. In case you get an extra for sale, let me know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.