S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have done my diligence in my searching and they do not make short medium or long tube headers for a 2.8 4x2.

So my question is, has anybody board out a stock exhaust manifold, have it powder coated to make it look nice and used one in that aspect?

· Premium Member
Currently: 96 4wd XCab, 85 2wd S15 XCab, 82 2wd lwb Sport, 95 2wd Jimmy w/95 LT1
383 Posts
Would there be any gain? To make it worth it? I can chime in, I've done it. I did it with exhaust manifolds on a big block Buick, and it was well worth it to me. It looked good and as far as I could tell, it gave me more power, mostly low end power and throttle response (QJet), and it lasted - they looked good as long as I owned it. That all said, I wouldn't be doing it for the small engine you are talking about, it wouldn't be worth the cost for the small (relative) gain. Any small change with a big block will return more power proportionately, but with a tiny engine, the same proportion of change won't be noticeable. Some of that is opinion, but not all of it.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would there be any gain? To make it worth it? I can chime in, I've done it. I did it with exhaust manifolds on a big block Buick, and it was well worth it to me. It looked good and as far as I could tell, it gave me more power, mostly low end power and throttle response (QJet), and it lasted - they looked good as long as I owned it. That all said, I wouldn't be doing it for the small engine you are talking about, it wouldn't be worth the cost for the small (relative) gain. Any small change with a big block will return more power proportionately, but with a tiny engine, the same proportion of change won't be noticeable. Some of that is opinion, but not all of it.
Thank you for that. Appreciated

· Premium Member
Currently: 96 4wd XCab, 85 2wd S15 XCab, 82 2wd lwb Sport, 95 2wd Jimmy w/95 LT1
383 Posts
My understanding is that headers are primarily to allow the engine to access the power that can come with moving a lot of air, which would be at high rpms. I wouldn't think that that motor would be good at that and that to get the benefit from the headers would involve better heads, intake, cam, work and money. And I wouldn't want to be driving it at high rpms all the time either. Personally, I'd focus on the exhaust system, larger pipe, free flow muffler and cat, which helps at the lower rpms that that motor is meant to live at. It might be that there are no headers available for the reason that no one sees the benefit or usefulness so no one is buying them and so no one is selling them.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding is that headers are primarily to allow the engine to access the power that can come with moving a lot of air, which would be at high rpms. I wouldn't think that that motor would be good at that and that to get the benefit from the headers would involve better heads, intake, cam, work and money. And I wouldn't want to be driving it at high rpms all the time either. Personally, I'd focus on the exhaust system, larger pipe, free flow muffler and cat, which helps at the lower rpms that that motor is meant to live at. It might be that there are no headers available for the reason that no one sees the benefit or usefulness so no one is buying them and so no one is selling them.
Maybe… I was going to do a true dual exhaust with the headers but now I guess I can do just a 2.5 single in dual out

· Registered
1984 S15 2.8 5 sp
267 Posts
Maybe… I was going to do a true dual exhaust with the headers but now I guess I can do just a 2.5 single in dual out
Why not just do true dual exhaust off the manifolds, if that’s what you’re after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Awww..you ain't got shit!
1984 S-10. Modified
3,888 Posts
Headers do exist for this engine. You'll have to be patient though. The only thing you will find will be used or NOS. My truck has Edelbrock headers on it. I bought them NOS in 2011. OBX still shows them on their site, but not sure if available. You may want to call them and see.

1984 S-10. Modified
3,888 Posts

Here's a thread where a guy used these OBX.

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Headers do exist for this engine. You'll have to be patient though. The only thing you will find will be used or NOS. My truck has Edelbrock headers on it. I bought them NOS in 2011. OBX still shows them on their site, but not sure if available. You may want to call them and see.

Yea I bought them tonight

1984 S-10. Modified
3,888 Posts
Yea I bought them tonight
Excellent! Please post pix when done. Headers are supposed to be really well put together. The Y Pipe is supposed to be not great from what I read. You may have to have an 02 bung welded in as well.

1984 S-10. Modified
3,888 Posts
Excellent! Please post pix when done. Headers are supposed to be really well put together. The Y Pipe is supposed to be not great from what I read. You may have to have an 02 bung welded in as well.
Oh, and the headers with a magnaflow converter and Flowmaster single in dual out sounds aggressive too!! Not too loud. No major droning inside the cab. Really good sounding when you hit the gas!!

1984 S-10. Modified
3,888 Posts
Glad to hear they were still available! They look nice too!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts