S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be lengthy so here we go. I have a few questions.
1. my engine was replaced a few years ago and the mechanic who put it in says he bought a crate 3.1 carbureted for the Blazer but everything that I have bought for it like water pumps exhaust manifolds all of that is from a 2.8. I did a tuneup yesterday and the distributor rotor plug and distributor cap we're both out of a 2.8 The question is would a distributor rotor out of a 2.8 fit and work properly on a 3.1?

2. I want to do a motor swap because I just don't have enough power but I DO NOT want to do a LS swap or a 350 swap or a 305 swap I'm thinking maybe just do a 3.4 but can I make a 3.4 carbureted or can I switch my truck to have the ability to run TBI?

3. Do you guys have any suggestions on what motor I should put in it? I would like to stay in the v6 area because I do not have the tools or know how or patients to put a SBC and it because I don't want to have to buy a new tranny or rear-end either.

4. What suggestions do you have for motors I should consider for the swap, how hard would said swap be, and what could I do to that motor that you suggest to give it more power IE supercharger?

5. The stock carburetor that comes with my Blazer is horrendous are there any carburetors that you guys suggest for a 3.1 or 3.4 or any other v6 motor.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the help.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
300 Posts
I believe the 2.8, 3.1 and the 3.4 V6 engines are all from the same family so they should swap easily. Since you are still carburated you do not have to deal with a computer, so a camshaft upgrade would make more power too. Edelbrock used to make an intake manifold that had two different tops so it could use the stock 2 bbl carb or a 4 bbl carb. I would go with a 3.4 V6 engine, bigger camshaft, and let the exhaust breathe with bigger pipe and performance muffler. A supercharger would be great if you can find one. Camden made one years ago.

·
Been there Done it
7,049 Posts
2. I want to do a motor swap because I just don't have enough power but I DO NOT want to do a LS swap or a 350 swap or a 305 swap I'm thinking maybe just do a 3.4 but can I make a 3.4 carbureted or can I switch my truck to have the ability to run TBI?
Do you think an increase of .3 liters is going to give you enough power?
Especially when you consider that the PO says you already have .3L more than it came with originally?
Most guys with newer 4.3's in a 4X4 don't think they have enough power. 4wd adds a lot of weight and drivetrain loss.
Just askin'

I do understand your dilemna. I just put a 383 SBC in a ZR2 and I still don't have enough power.
Bought an LQ9 6.0 today to see if that will cure my need for speed.
Or I may just except the fact 4wd is going to be slower and put the LS in a 2wd. Then I can at least go fast in nice weather.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts