S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1984 S-10 pickup, short box, short cab, 2WD, zero options. 2.8L 4 SP manual(orig) 350 swap June 2020
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I have been reading through many many posts on here and I see some conflicting info so I hope some of you can direct me to the proper threads or maybe you've done the same swap as me and know exactly what I will need. I hate to be a pain, but I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate if anyone has an answer or can direct me to the proper thread.

Here's what I have:
1984 bone stock(46k original miles) S-10 pickup 2WD short box, no extended cab, PS, PB, 2.8L, AC, 4 speed stick with hydraulic clutch, no power options, no tilt, no cruise. 1985 350 motor complete, mildly built(about 300HP) shorty headers for the S-10 from Jegs I was told. No sticker in the glovebox so I don't know what the rear end is. You could roll the truck over and eat off the bottom it's that clean still.

Here's my questions, and I hope I don't anger anyone:
1) is there blueprints for the motor mounts somewhere so I can make my own, I've read that alot of purchased ones aren't reliable or don't line up, or what mounts would you recommend for my build? I've read the 2.8 frame mounts can stay put.

2.) Oil Pan, I am sure I need the 10 X 7 X 7-3/4 to clear the frame, but there is so many to choose from. I'm not going for looks so I don't need a fancy expensive one, but I do need one that the slave cylinder will clear so I can still run manual trans. Has anyone come across any problems with this, or have a suggestion which pan would be best for me?

3.) Driveshaft, Will I need my driveshaft shortened or can I get one from the junkyard that was from a s10 p/u with 4.3 and manual trans?

4.) Bellhousing, As far as I can tell I have the T-4 but won't be sure until I get it out of the truck. Can I just get a bellhousing from an early 80's camaro with a small block and bolt the T-4 to it with a new clutch, or will there be clearance issues with the oil pan and headers?

I've seen plenty of swap kits for sale with mounts, pan and headers but I don't want to waste $600 on something if there's a chance one of the parts will not line up.

I thank everyone in advance for any help you can provide. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, just have some fun with it this summer then get a T-5 and a Stroker motor to put in over the upcoming winter, and then a paintjob when I have a few extra thousand dollars. Thank you so much all, I will start posting pictures soon as I get started this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
1984 S-10 pickup, short box, short cab, 2WD, zero options. 2.8L 4 SP manual(orig) 350 swap June 2020
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Change in plans. I have the one piece 4 speed manual bellhousing so I guess I'm not going to bolt the gearbox to a different bellhousing after all. I do still have the TH350 from my street stock car, with the short tailshaft. Would anyone recommend the long tailshaft due to trans crossmember location? I've read some posts for both transmissions and people saying they had to get an aftermarket one. It's a lot of weight to be putting the tranny in and out to dry fit, so if anyone has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts