S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I want to start a progress log for my truck which I've had for about 2 years. I've posted a few threads on this truck so far, so you may have seen it before. This truck is a very low mileage (35k as received) and is in really great, original shape.

The truck was barn-kept all of it's life, so it's mostly just brown/dirty underneath and a few surface rust spots on the body. The truck was essentially road-ready as-is, but over the past two years we've gotten it rock-solid.

Here's the truck when it was picked up! You can see it was already solid, but needed a good clean, new tires, brakes, surface rust repair, etc.

Once it was home, it was detailed extensively inside and out. Mice had made the truck into an apartment complex which had caused some interesting issues. First, they nested inside the dash on top of the radio, and their urine completely ruined it. It also dripped down onto the ashtray and rotted away it's metal frame. The rats had also eaten through the wire running to the dome light. We replaced the stereo, and spliced the dome light wire. Then, it went onto the jacks stands to do the brakes/rear brake lines. The wheels were also refinished, and new tires were put on.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

At this point we also pulled out the seat for reupholstering. the foam inside the seat was completely shredded by the mice because they had dug tunnels through it. It looks like croutons!

INSERT PHOTO

The truck was sitting on it's new tires here, and the gas filler door was removed for painting.

Wheel Tire Bicycle Land vehicle Car

We also did a bunch of maintenance catch-up including air filter, oil change, new plugs, and checked out the coolant and radiator which was recently replaced. The clutch had also been replaced in the last 5 years or so.

As I do more tasks on this truck I'll update this thread!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced the old rusted fog/brush bar lights with modern LED units. Also replaced the ancient relays with modern ones. I wired the brush bar lights to come on with the high beams.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For the last year or so the temperature gauge hasn't worked, and I was having a heck of a time getting it repaired. I first checked whether the gauge was getting signal by grounding the lead to the block. The gauge swung hard, indicating it was fine.

Next I replaced the sender with a part from RockAuto. No dice, still didn't work. Out of desperation I also replaced the thermostat, on the off chance it was stuck closed or something. Again, nothing.

Then I decided to refer to the nice people of this forum, who kindly pointed out that I installed an incorrect temperature sender. I picked the correct part up from NAPA, and sure enough....

Car Vehicle Plant Steering part Motor vehicle

If you need a temperature sender for the 2.8 V6 this is a good option, although a little pricey: TEMP SENDER

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exhaust

Here's an engine bay shot since I haven't posted one yet:
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I felt that the dash speakers in this truck were a little weak, so I went ahead and installed a small subwoofer unit behind the seat, where the extended cab is. The subwoofer came in the trunk of another recent car project ('89 Porsche 944s2), so I stole it and a spare amp we had sitting around from yet another project ('75 VW Westfalia bus). I made a quick'n'dirty panel from ply wood and covered it with some red vinyl from amazon to cover up the amp/wires, and to mount the subwoofer on.

While running the wiring I found some more mice crap of course...I think I'll be finding mouse turds in this truck forever.

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle door Automotive design

Here's the link to vinyl; the burgundy is a surprisingly good match. I also used one of these latches to hold the panel to the cab. I installed the post to one of the existing mounting holes for the window surround. Took some guess-and-check to set the length of the post properly.

I need to get some c-channel edge trim to cover up my subpar upholstery job, but overall I'm happy with it.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Fixture Vehicle door

and the ugliness underneath:

Wood Textile Audio equipment Material property Electrical wiring

·
Been there Done it
14,403 Posts
I bought a similar one new in 83. Except it was an automatic and blah brown. Traded it in, in 85 for a regular cab that was red.

Reactions: PickleBumps
1 - 7 of 7 Posts