S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 dime 4x4 w/ the 2.8 liter and 5 speed tranny. what is the model id (like thm 350, thm 400, t56, t5) of the tranny and will it bolt straight up or will i need a bellhousing adapter? I've found the motor mount adapters and am still doing research on the rest of the project so bear w/ me. I really need to know what I have to do w/ this tranny. Thanx for yall's help! :rock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can anyone help me w/ this? I need to know. I know a 5 speed from a 4.3 will boltup but will the 5 speed ffrom a 2.8 bolt up?

·
Crazy Canuck
207 Posts
I am pretty sure it won't bolt up. Even if it did you would destroy the transmission very quickly. You need a proper tranny built to handle the torque the V8 is going to produce otherwise you'll just end up replacing it in extremly short time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, Ive decided to put in a t56 out of a 4.3 blazer. what years should i go for and will i have to use the drive shaft out of the 4.3 for an exact fit to the tailshaft? :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
it'll work. its a t-5 .you need to use the bellhousing from a fullsize truck with the sm465 tranny.mine was from an 88.has the mounts for the hydro clutch. use a clutch disk for an 85 astro with a manual tranny.its an 11" disk with the 1" ,14 spline center.i

its not the strongest tranny ,but it'll work for a while. you will need to trim the input shaft a little as well as the front bearing retainer . when I did my first one I followed the suggestions in the JTR manual and it worked out ok.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
HellRaiserBlazer said:
ok, Ive decided to put in a t56 out of a 4.3 blazer. what years should i go for and will i have to use the drive shaft out of the 4.3 for an exact fit to the tailshaft? :confused:
No blazer came stock with a T-56, are you talking T5 out of a 1st gen blazer? I know a few companies make bellhousings or bellhousing adapters to allow the use of the stock T5 with a V8, I would say if you treat it well it should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find a bell housing adapter for this application. I looked on advanceadapters.com. any other sites that I can check for this bellhousing? and what's the model ID for the 5 speed tranny behind a 4.3 (I have the 5 speed behind a 2.8) I'm new in the 4x4 field but I know a lot of auto stuff, and I've had a lot of experience working on gm v8's so I'm sure I will learn quickly. thanks for all your help!!

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
If I am not mistaken the 5spd backing the 4.3 has always been a new venture product, I know mine is a nv3500 but I am not sure if the model # was the same for earlier models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did that tranny bolt right up? and what year is it out of?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i couldn't find an adapter for an nv3500 5 speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the nv 3500 from a 4.3 will bolt right to a small block.it has the same bolt pattern. no adapter is needed.it also has an integral bellhousing.
to use the stock 2.8 5 speed use gm part #15562385.its a bellhousing for an 88-92 fullsize truck. you go to any chevy dealer and order it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for all yall's help!!! are there any funny little surprises I should expect from this v8 conversion that might be one royal pain in the ass?

·
Registered
3 Posts
82-83 models have a funky clutch that uses a cable instead of hydraulic. should be fairly easy to change over though. the large starter gan get real close to the frame. find a gear reduction unit from a mid 90's fullsize. its small and powerfull and cheap! depending on which mounts you use, the fuel pump is pretty close to the frame as well.
If you dont have it, i suggest getting the conversion manual from Jags that run.its about 30 bucks,but has almost all the info you will need ,espesially if this is your first time. not all their ideas are perfect but for the 82-93 trucks ,the book is pretty good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts