S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this in the wrong section. I just took ownership of my wife's grandfather's all original 1983 S10 4x4 with the 2.0 liter vin code Y. The truck actually runs really good except for a vacuum leak at the base of the carburetor. I'm okay with deleting the heater-spacer thing (but would prefer to leave it on) Anyone got a source on carburetor mounting gaskets for this truck? All the parts stores I've tried have come up with nothing.
Thanks in advance

·
time to get cereal
4,912 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's not in the repair kit. I just ordered a Felpro 64006 just to see if it's close. Thanks for the link man, I appreciate the help!
I'll see if I can upload some pics later

·
time to get cereal
4,912 Posts
I'm sure you may already know but the 2.0L is based on the Cavalier engine. Unlike the later 2.2L, the 2.0L has a unique block only used in the S10 for 2 model years.

That thing is loaded too! Power brakes, steering, cruise, and air conditioning!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info you're providing. I have no idea what I have here to be honest! I know my wife's grandfather loves this truck but can no longer drive it. He had someone work on it. On the passenger side of the carb is a bracket with some canister thing, don't what is is or does but, the mechanic put the bracket for that thing between the intake manifold and carb base creating a massive vacuum leak. All I did was remove that bracket and bolted the carb back on.The truck fired right up. I drove it around for about an hour. The truck sat for 5 years because of this issue. Now I'd like to replace that gasket while keeping the truck as close to original as possible.

I'm all ears as to the tidbits about this thing!

·
time to get cereal
4,912 Posts
I'm not much of a carb guy, but @Mad Max can probably lead you in the right direction there. You may be able to use parts from an '82 Cavalier, that's the only year they had a carb.

I'm not sure about that gasket, it's for a 2.8L V6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not much of a carb guy, but @Mad Max can probably lead you in the right direction there. You may be able to use parts from an '82 Cavalier, that's the only year they had a carb.

I'm not sure about that gasket, it's for a 2.8L V6.
Yeah, I'm just taking a stab that the carbs may be similar. I can return it if it doesn't fit

·
Boozebag
9,642 Posts
Thanks again for the tag MBP.
The gasket for a 2.8 V6 is the same as the 2.0. They both use the Rochester 2CG

Warp - You have one helluva rare truck. That is the first 2.0 4x4 I have seen - not that I'm an expert with these trucks.
If I remember, they only offered the 2.0 for 3 years.
AND... This truck has a ton of accessories (options) as was mentioned earlier.
If you look in the glove box the options list should be there. You can look on line for the codes, and IIRC, there is a post or two with them listed on this forum.
It's pretty easy to replace the carb gasket.

Nice grab with this rig. (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered the Felpro gasket. Looking real hard at that heater gasket on eBay.

I'll look for the options codes you mentioned. Thanks guys!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,343 Posts

Reactions: GN-WARP6

·
Registered
8,780 Posts

·
time to get cereal
4,912 Posts
Any idea what this little truck could be worth?
Unfortunately, probably whatever you could get for it in scrap. It would be awesome if it survived though.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
The body looked pretty clean, I gave $800 for my 91 and it has alot of cancer...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts