S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the Scouts we have currently in the shop is a well used 800 that was bought new by the grandpa of my customer.

The vehicle has been used for some type of logging business in its early days, and some of the body damages are stories shared by the owners.

In its later years it has been used to teach a few family members how to drive. This has also resulted in body damages.

When the vehicle first arrived at our shop, it was a 'get it running and driving' type of job.

It has since turned into, complete brake system, complete fuel system, complete cooling system repairs, body and paint, interior and wiring job.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After speaking with the owner, this turned into a mild restoration with emphasis on a budget friendly price.
Sure, it needed a new tailgate, inner and outer rockers, both front fenders, etc. But it's not getting them.
The dents and damages meant something.
So, the idea was to repair and smooth out the damaged areas, but, not make them disappear.

One of the biggest eye sores was the rusty rockers you could literally see completely through.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after quite a bit of body work, metal banging, cutting out portions of the rockers, disassembling the doors, dash, windows, lights, sanding off the cheap paint job that was done in the late 80s, we were able to get the truck in primer.
We also sent the wheels out to be powder coated white, and installed a 2 inch lift kit while the truck was up in the air..

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The interior was stripped, and the front, rear seats and dash pad were sent out for reupholstering.
During this time we sanding the primer and prepped everything in order to start spraying the shiny stuff.
We went over several colors and finally picked a 1955 GM color called Nantucket Blue.
The color looks greyish in LED lighting, such as in the garage and a gorgeous blue out in the sunlight.

Sewing machine Car Motor vehicle Fender Automotive design

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The door jambs, inner panels and all edges were prepped and painted, at the same time the entire scout was.
It's hot here in Phoenix, and no matter how wet i laid out the clear I couldn't keep it wet enough to flow and lay out that way I'd like it.
But, in the end it didn't matter, because we always wet sand and buff our paint jobs.

Here it is the day we towed it home from the booth.

Hood Bumper Sleeve Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Sky

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today we wet sanded the truck with 1500 grit and right before we started buffing we get a call there is an opening at the bedliner shop..
so a quick phone call to the tow truck and the scout is loaded up and headed to the shop to get the bed liner sprayed on the entire inside of the tub.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rear bumper is being sandblasted, and will be painted white along with the front bumper to match the wheels. I think I'll paint the grill white also.

Well that's all for a week or so, until the scout is back in the shop.
I hope you like the direction this mild restoration is going.

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
593 Posts
Cool project, that's a beautiful color. I'm torn on not replacing the dented panels, but I can understand the owners wanting to keep some of the memories alive. That said, I like how you were able to smooth out the dents and make them flow with the good panels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking good, I had a 1965 Scout 800, and a 1972 Scout II.

The 800 had an engine fire, and the body was junk; I had a regular cab S10 that was a parts truck for another project, so we were going to mount the cab on the Scout frame, and build a truggy.

The Scout II ran, and was going to be a full bodied off roader, unfortunately we ended up having to junk both, due to not enough time to work on them.

I would love to get my hands on another Scout, but unfortunately prices are outrageously high on them these days.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking good, I had a 1965 Scout 800, and a 1972 Scout II.

The 800 had an engine fire, and the body was junk; I had a regular cab S10 that was a parts truck for another project, so we were going to mount the cab on the Scout frame, and build a truggy.

The Scout II ran, and was going to be a full bodied off roader, unfortunately we ended up having to junk both, due to not enough time to work on them.

I would love to get my hands on another Scout, but unfortunately prices are outrageously high on them these days.
i own a 63 80.
the one pictured is a 71 800
and theres an 79 scout ii in the shop that is a mega money restomod build

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the vehicle is his he could of filed for a lost title usually takes a week to get the new one. If you run into it again ask about it.
Yeah, in my state it would depend on if he had titled it in his name, the body was pretty well trashed on it anyway, so it was really only good for the drivetrain and possibly the frame.

·
Boozebag
10,535 Posts
Scouts have gone crazy &&&!
I had a 65 with the weird 4 cylinder in it.
It was a true 3 wheel drive - Ha...
Posi rear and right front tugger drive tire.
Didn't have much power, but in low range,,,

Nice semi resto project. Looks great!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Scouts have gone crazy &&&!
I had a 65 with the weird 4 cylinder in it.
It was a true 3 wheel drive - Ha...
Posi rear and right front tugger drive tire.
Didn't have much power, but in low range,,,

Nice semi resto project. Looks great!
Yeah, my 65 had the 196 in it, my 72 had a 304.

I never thought the starter from a 4cyl would fit a V8, until the starter from the 304 went out, we compared them and they were a perfect match.

·
Boozebag
10,535 Posts
International was pretty smart. They had similar parts interchange as GM, Ford and MOPAR.
They did have weird vehicles in early production.
The early Scouts were very similar to to early Jeeps.
Useless on the highway, but over land....

·
Registered
39 Posts
International was pretty smart. They had similar parts interchange as GM, Ford and MOPAR.
They did have weird vehicles in early production.
The early Scouts were very similar to to early Jeeps.
Useless on the highway, but over land....
Yep, they were built as farm vehicles, very simple.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got delivered from the bedliner shop
Noe to finish buffing the paint..
Paint the dash and steering column, and start assembly of this scout..

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fixture Vehicle door

1 - 20 of 29 Posts