S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost finished with the S10 and now diving into my childhood dream car. 1968 Firebird coupe that was a 350/350 car. Bought the shell in Ohio and drove it 930 miles back on a trailer behind a UHaul truck. Been in the garage for a while just sitting, but getting ready to start on ground up build. Building a Poncho 400 and backing it with a 2004r overdrive automatic. The rear brakes are off an S10 Blazer along with the booster and M/C so there is an S10 connection... Going to be a long expensive build so with lots of time and no money, I'll try to update often.

In my girfriend's dad's garage in Ohio:

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked up a 400 bored 30 over with freshly rebuilt 6X-4 heads in Gainesville from a speed shop for a decent price:

Started to work on cleaning up suspension:

My girlfriend's cousin was working on a '68 Camaro and I scored upper and lower control arms and subframe connectors for a song. Urethane bushing set came with the car so I pressed them in and painted the control arms with POR-15. Turned out well.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Floorboard getting POR-15 treatment:

Picked up the 2004-R with locking converter in Tampa for dirt cheap. (Was in a first gen RX-7 with a 383 stroker. Prior owner had built a TH350 for drag racing.)

The 14" rims had to go...

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dropped in crank

Cleaned up an old set of forged 30 over pistons and dropped in with new rings

Scored a set of Harland Sharp roller rockers off of CL super cheap

Going to go with FiTech fuel injection. XE268H cam from Competiton Cams arrived in the mail. Have to install it and the oil pump next.

My "LS1" Camaro calipers and rotors for the front and S10 Blazer disc for the rear

I had to get a 4wheel drive rear caliper setup to place it forward. 68-69 F bodies have staggered shocks and the 2wd position would hit the shock. Time to grind, paint, fabricate and assemble in no particular order.

·
Boozebag
9,954 Posts
Great to see a Tin Indian coming back from the dead.
Excellent choice of wheels/tires!

I have so many Poncho parts - I can't count them.
Too bad you bought a 400, even though it's a great power house.
I have a 1970 455 sitting on an engine stand.
Or how about a factory 12 bolt with the traction bar...
Maybe a complete M22 conversion (pedals, bell, clutch, shifter :blah:)
Several sets of heads... and multiple aluminum intakes, Mallory dizzies... Way too much stuff.
A complete 389 with 4 speed engine code...

Oh, one last item, that is the incorrect engine color for the year. It should be a silver/ metallic blue. I have found it at NAPA and on line. Pontiac went from the powder blue to the metallic silver blue in 1966 IIRC. If you care...

I had a 66 Chevelle with a Pontiac 350/ M21 with all 389 bolt on parts. It ran mid 12s in the 1320 at New England Dragway at Epping New Hampshire. This was back in the 70s. Fairly quick for a junk yard stomper with a weezer 350.

Anyway, no intention to jack here.
I'll be watching this one.

·
Boozebag
9,954 Posts
Post #14 = :tup:

Post #15 - I have a 455, 403 and (2) 350s. Probably see them in my "Too many projects" thread. Correct metallic color for 72 and newer Dr. Olds engines. Weird though, Olds gave a red, gold and that metallic blue for their rocket engines.

Sorry, off subject. I'm done now.

I vote more progress and pix!

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all! I already planned on going metallic blue (the shop painted the motor). Going to install the oil pump, cam and timing gears and chain, push rods and lifters... Then paint it the prettier '68 color.

Working on brakes and front drop coils came in. Surprising how stubborn bolts that are older than I am that have never been removed can be. Just glad they aren't breaking.

Dropped off hubs to get machined down to size. The 2002 Camaro caliper hoses fit into the '68 bracket and clipped in with only filing one small spot on the bracket.

Bracket for booster came in as well, everything so far going as planned... It's weird.

Haha, and yes it will be lowered. 3" drop leafs are on deck for the rear.

·
Head Lifeguard
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha, Hotchkis full subframe and bolt in 4-link are a decade down the road when I retire... By then I should be able to cash out unused vacation time and purchase a 2016+ Z06 power plant.

Until then going to modify it within my budget with tried and true parts that will provide me reliable transportation. I plan on driving it a lot, if my truck made it to Tennessee I am confident I can build this to go to NY and back to visit my cousin.

·
Boozebag
9,954 Posts
Bennsb, ^^^ I don't think you can get any more serious or go to any further mod than that suspension. I'd almost sell my left appendage for that set up.:tup:
Good shot Toko

I vote go into hock and do it....

1 - 20 of 314 Posts