S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 615 Posts

·
GETTING V8'ED
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking to do an old school metal dash swap for a while now. After browsing around, I found a dash that I liked. Its out of a 1956 Ford Fairlane. I got it for dirt cheap, and its in real good condition. I was able to pickup the gauge cluster on ebay. The past 2 days I have been sanding it down to bare metal. I will have updated pics tomorrow for u guys.

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
i dont see progress...WTF

o edit ...dont sand it down to bare metal john ...find some1 locally to sandblast it after your done smoothing it out and done with metal work ...trust me

·
GETTING V8'ED
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so after getting all the paint off this thing, heres where it stands. All of the holes that are there now will be filled in and smoothed out. I was able to find a gauge cluster on ebay for pretty cheap and i cleaned that up too. Heres some pics of the dash all stripped down and then a few with the gauge cluster in the dash. enjoy

·
Bob Saget bitch!
2,539 Posts
Thats tight.

Aircraft stripper and a small wire brush will get those tight areas. Then wipe it down with a paper towel and some mineral spirits.

·
Beams for the HATERS
1,730 Posts
nice! i found a 55 Bel Aire but its in the middle of no where and i wont have power or air to take it out...? so how could i pull the dash out? break the front window to get to the top back of the dash.. buts its tacked into place???

·
V8 with bags
7,372 Posts
cordless sawzall is the way to go, its how i got the dash for mine, just cut it as close to the windshield as possible, you'll have to remake most of the top anyways so it doesnt matter if its a clean cut and good luck with it, getting the 68 dash in mine and making it look proportioned was a blast lol

·
crouchingS10hiddenVETTE
1,936 Posts
im doing a 57 bel air in mine.. that dash is so thin tho i advise using a torch to get it out... least thats how mine got out.. and for the love of god dont talk about busting out the front glas out of that car!(cringe) i think that rubber seal around it is like the rear windows in our s10's.. how are u sheetmetaling it in?... and do u have to section it any?.. if you do i advise centering it over your steering colum. then doing it like that

1 - 20 of 615 Posts
About this Discussion
614 Replies
116 Participants
dagreenmonster
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing