S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need a little help with this. I'm lookin at some 18's right now but I am wondering what kind of tire size I need and if I will have to do any cutting to make them fit without rubbing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
222 Posts
im running a 18x8 with 4.5"bs and 225/40 18 with a zq8+2" spindles and they fit great they even rub less than the factory tires(not at all). i have even thought about going to a 245/40 in the front and even wider in the rear. im not sure how wide your rims are but when i bought mine i was told that we need 4.5" of back spacing, i think maybe a 9" wide wheel would fit ok.
do you have your truck dropped at all?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, all the ones I have looked at are 18x8.5, and no I dont have mine dropped any and dont plan to. Some people say they will fit just fine, and others say that you would have to cut some things, I work in a tire shop but I only put on tires, dont know a whole lot about them sept for tire size. Do Wheel companys like american racing take special requests on sizes? Thanks

BTW..... maybe a stupid Q but what is backspacing

·
I hate you
2,241 Posts
18x8.5, with 4.5" of back space, on a 245/40 will work good, I used some Boyd Blasters once and they were 245/40 on an 8.5" wide wheel. No rubbin at all, except when I aired out, but you dont have that issue. Anyway backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel straight back to the very edge of the wheel. Wheel companies offering special requests on sizes? All of the billet wheel companies offer backspacing options, and they make pretty much sizes 14"-26" and a lot of width options, 6"-10"

·
Registered
222 Posts
with your truck sittin stock hieghth i would maybe go with a little taller tire maybe like a 245/45 to fill some wheel well gap and also protect your rims from the dreaded potholes

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, potholes suck ass around here. Thank you for all of your help guys.

BTW, I am a idiot and forgot to ask, what is the lowest backspacing I could possibly go

·
Registered
407 Posts
235/40's on an X w/ 2/3 drop. No rubbing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i have 18x8 bs 4.5" w/ 245/40/18 on the front and 18x9 bs 5.25" w/ 275/35/18 on the rear on zq8 + 2 in on the front and 2 in block on the rear w/ no prob...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, at the moment I am lookin at 18x8.5 all the way around. Unfortunitly I cannot find the bs anywhere on the descriptions of them in the american racing book. I dont know a whole lot about rims, I know more about systems and everything but rims is not my strong point even though I work in a tire shop(wierd huh).:werd:

·
Bling Blingin' Member
61 Posts
personal experience

just to let you know, a zq8 with 2" spindles, 18x9's will not work out, at least in the case i had. i was workin on this truck and i got everything put on, and put the wheels on, went to back out, and it wouldn't move. i looked at it for a while b4 i wrecked anything, and i realized that the spindles were digging into the edge of the wheels. I run an 8.5 on my truck and i cant even get a finger in between my spindles and the wheels, so it is a very close call there, and i didnt think about a half inch mattering. this may not be the case in all situations, but its just a warning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts