S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Doesn't it lower cylinder temps. which would increase some carbon. What about gas milage is that affected?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
180 won't create any problems.

Now if you dropped a 160 in there, then you will get some major carbon buildup.

·
2001 S-10 Crew Cab
557 Posts
I wasn't able to get away with running the 180* stat.
The "finicky" 2001 PCM won't let me get away with running it since I went to the larger replacement radiator.
Relocating the IAT worked for a while in the modded stock airbox, but I went to the FIPK and it set the light again, so back to the toasty 195* for me :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a 180 degree thermostat from Pep Boys....it is a 180 that is used on older silverado's with a 350....all u need is the gasket which is like $2.00 and the thermostat which was like $9.00. My truck is a 2001 and it ran great for a while until the computer noticed what was up....I did gain a noticable amount of power but my gas mileage went way down so I had to go back to my 195 again!

·
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
In order to run a lower temp thermostat from stock you need a power programmer or a superchips programmer...otherwise as stated above the computer will start to throw fits!! This is the first winter I have run the 180*stat and i notice that I stay in fast idle when it is really cold...and of course the heater doesn't blow as hot...but it does give some more hp with the tuning installed in the computer

·
H-D motorsports
654 Posts
The problem with running too cold of a thermostat is ...if the engine coolant temps are too low the computers see this and continues to run the injection system in open loop, it dumps in this extra rich mixture of fuel into the engine to heat it up quicker to normal operating temps.
If the Tstat is too cold it will never close the loop and the truck will always run too rich. And we all know too rich costs you HP and causes serious engine damage.

I data logged my car for weeks. It too ran a 195 tstat and with a 180 the coolant temps never got high enough to close the loop. I had to go up to a 185 before the car would see that it was running at normal operating temps. Once I did this my fuel mileage and power came back. I was able to accelerate faster to 60mph with the throttle a lot less.

Personally I would never drop it below 185 with out logging it while it's running to see what temp the coolant is at the sensor otherwise you run the rick of running the engine richer then it needs/should be.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
NJTy180 said:
:bs: I run a 160* stat with no problems :rolleyes:
How do u know if u have carbon buildup or not? Plus would it make a difference where u lived? Like if I put in a 160* thermo in alaska then that would cause problems but in Florida it would be just fine.

15,113 Posts
NCHEVYHEVN3 said:
How do u know if u have carbon buildup or not? Plus would it make a difference where u lived? Like if I put in a 160* thermo in alaska then that would cause problems but in Florida it would be just fine.
the easiest way is to check the plugs but also by the fact that performance of my truck far exceeds that of one that was loaded up with carbon and crap :chicken:

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
NJTy180 said:
the easiest way is to check the plugs but also by the fact that performance of my truck far exceeds that of one that was loaded up with carbon and crap :chicken:
Didn't even think to look at the plugs.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
NJTy180 said:
:bs: I run a 160* stat with no problems :rolleyes:
Seeing you are using a 160 stat in a turbocharged Typhoon, you will be running a little hotter than the rest of us anyways.

Please keep in mind that I was talking about normal 4.3L's where people notice a drastic decrease in mileage seeing the engine is dumping more fuel into the engine to get it up to temperature.

This leads to the carbon buildup.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm running a 180 t-stat in my '95 Jimmy with no problems.Hwy mileage is 20 to 22.I didn't drive it long with the 195 because it was overheating,but past experience it helps.Use the reverse opening t-stat so if it fails it does so in the open position.they run about $9 plus gasket.

15,113 Posts
BlazerLT said:
Seeing you are using a 160 stat in a turbocharged Typhoon, you will be running a little hotter than the rest of us anyways.

Please keep in mind that I was talking about normal 4.3L's where people notice a drastic decrease in mileage seeing the engine is dumping more fuel into the engine to get it up to temperature.

This leads to the carbon buildup.
yeah, i suppose, but i also see that the computers are a little less forgiving than they are in the SyTys, which is why I havent bothered to comment anymore on this.

Seems like the 180 is the way to go.

Either way, its not like there is a huge performance gain from swapping out the 195.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is there any certain years with a certain temp stat or does it depend on where the vehicle will be sold? I have a 97 that was purchased here in hot TX and it has what appears to be a 160. I got the truck about 3 months ago and it was totally stock and does not appear that anyone would have changed the stat. So do some S-10's come with the cooler stats. My 94 and 95 cames with 195 because the temp gauge stayed just below the halfway mark. During the summer, this TX heat will be brutal on that 4.3 with a higher stat...

·
Tucker is mah name
718 Posts
My biggest question is, does the computer still throw the injectors into an Open loop with the 160° and HPP3 installed, or does the Power Programmer fix that. I've been running a 160° for about a year, installed after I got the HPP3. Mileage drops like a sumbitch in the winter to about 280per tank, but in the summer, I can pull around 350miles per tank. If the computer still injects a crapload of fuel with the 160°, even with the HPP3 tuning installed, It's not worth the extra programming...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts