S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing my electric fan this week. Where can I find a 12 Volt Power source under the hood when my ingnition is On?

·
POOR BOY
33 Posts
I tapped into the wiper motor
....Its a yellow wire on my 2001,should be the same as your 2000. You can even find it on your own by first unplugging the connector then probe each pin with the key on. Now there should only be 2 pins with 12v+.One pin is your 12v+ constant and the other is your ignition pin. To distinguish which one it is, turn the key off and probe the two pins you found earlier. One will still have power which will be constant and the other will not have any volts(This will be the ignition wire you need to connect to). Hope this helps you out!!! BTW check out some installation pics at http://www.frknlo.f2s.com/picturegallery.php?path=electric-fan-install&gallery=Black%20Magic%20Electric%20Fan Its just pictures,no captions....sorry

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removing the old fan

I was working on removing the old fan last night. I removed the upper radiator shroud, then removed the 4 bolts that hold the pulley onto the water pump. Are these the correct bolts to remove? I could not remove the fan after taking these bolts off. To remove, is the fan held-on by reverse threads? Or did I remove the wrong 4 bolts?

·
POOR BOY
33 Posts
For mine I did not need to remove the pulley to take the fan off.....Put the 4 bolts you took off back on.What you need to do is remove the shaft(looks like a big nut).
On the bottom right corner you can see the pulley and the silver threads right in the middle of the pulley.This is what the fan shaft threads over onto(cant see it with the stock fan still connected)
It has regular threads so it comes off the normal way.The hard part is triying to keep the pulley from moving while you try to remove the fan.There is a special tool you can borrow which well save you alot of time..... I used a big screw driver to hold the pulley from turning.Place the screwdriver(with the whole shaft against it) on the pulley. Put the driver on so it butts up against two of the bolt heads. Then put a big wrench on that shaft and turn it ccw. I had an assistant with me so it made it easier.

BTW for a clean installation I hooked up my constant 12v+ to a terminal under the battery. This way there will not be too many terminals at the battery connection

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
frknlo- I appreciate all of your help, my truck is completely different that was is pictured in my Chilton Shop manual.

By any chance, do you know what size nut holds the fan/clutch assembly to the water pump? I know it is bigger than 1 5/16". Again, thanks for your help.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
There is also a small wire loom running between the battery and the fenderwell, sort of tucked under the lip of the fender. I tapped into that line for a fan install I did just recently. Think the two wires inside were pink and black.. just check before you use them.

On the fan nut, I used a big pair of channel locks on the nut itself and a 13mm(think..) on the nuts for the pulley. Leverage the wrench on the nuts, then yanked the crap out of the channel locks.

You can take it down to the dealer and ask them.. the mechanics love putting people to shame.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the fan nut come off Clockwise or Counter Clockwise? I tried to remove it yesterday, but got no where. I called the Chevy dealership and they told me they used an air hammer and it both way till it came off.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
Xtreme V6 said:
Does the fan nut come off Clockwise or Counter Clockwise? I tried to remove it yesterday, but got no where. I called the Chevy dealership and they told me they used an air hammer and it both way till it came off.
what are they, smoking dope??

Jesus, I would like to see how they got an impact down there on that nut, friggin idiots. It's a normal threaded nut. righty tighty, lefty loosy, so you would need to turn it counter clockwise (lefty) to get it to come off.

How far is fredericksburg from NC? I live 10 mi N of Greensboro and am going to Boone tonight to help my little bro w/ his PC at school. If it's close, you can come to the house, or I may be able to meet you somewhere, have done 4 fans so far, have a degree in electronics and know my ****!! If you're close, give me a call:
before 4, 336-605-4368
after 4, 336-254-8461

If I don't answer, leave me a voice mail and I'll call you back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts