S-10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have my speedo set at 128, but when im up past 100 or so, my shifting gets really screwy (i have auto) it'll like downshift, then take it up to about 4-5 grand RPM then downshift again. Any ideas on what's going on?

·
Asphault Assasin
45 Posts
hey i'll get a pic of my speedo just as quick as i can, but i have a question..i can get my truck to top out the 98mph limiter at the top of 3rd gear (5spd) but the check engine light comes on, any ideas why???:confused:

·
Registered
433 Posts
DimebagDarrell said:
i hit 112 in my 93, unfortunately speedo stops at 87 so i had a sebring follow me. damn auto trannys, cant wait till i switch to manual
just be prepared to switch some parts in the rear end! most of the auto's come standard with 410's
chris

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
I was clocked at 130 buy my buddys 01 Ram Air T/A while we were racing on RT 95. :thumbup: Of course he beat me:cry:
But we had some fun,he didn't think my truck would go that fast.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
165 MPH?!! In what? Money talks and bullsh*t walks but do you know how much horsepower you would need to push an s-10 or ranger to that kind of speed. Not to mention how far it would take. The picture of the speedo is cool sure but thats all you see. Think I can show 30 lbs of boost with my old boost gauge if I hook a compressor up to it. How fast was that electric drill turning to get that pic? Im sorry if I seem a little doubtful but do the math. Would like to know what gears ya got and what size tires your running.....Just a thought

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Just a little math here.. Lets assume an overall tire diameter of 27 inches which is average, and a cruising speed of 65 mph....with 342 gears your going to be turning about 2300 rpm. Thats assuming a fifth gear overdrive. lets double that for 130 MPH gives us about 5600 RPM. lets half the first figure to get the other 30 and we add1200 rpm we have 6800 rpm in fifth with the aerodynamics of a pickup i think you said.. Still dont make sense. maybe i misread the post......

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
27"dia tires,3:42 gears.6500 Rpm=153 Mph now deduct for the
drop in OD and the gear ratio changes to 2:98 (or something
like that,i think) = 175 Mph with the same setup.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here's something I've been wondering. Every picture I've seen of a speedo on this forum is MPH and all the speedos I've seen only go to 100 MPH or here in Canuck land that would be 160 KPH.

Ok I know most of you guys are in the states so your speed is measured in MPH. Up here north of the border of course we are on the good old metric system. My speedo tops out at 180 KPH which would be 112 MPH.

What gives? Why would I not have a speedo that just goes to 160 KPH (100 MPH)?

BTW I've been able to go just over 165 KPH which is 102.5 MPH before the fuel system cuts out and I'm only revving at just over 3000 at that speed. Damn speed limiter. I know I could easily top out the speedo.

Just something odd that I've noticed.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
I dont got a s10 anymore but if i posted a 150+ mph run would that count? :D

·
I like my trucks like I like my women.....Clean sh
24 Posts
I have a 96 Noma, and it tops out at 90, how come mine is SOOO FREAKIN SLOW and your guys's hall ass?? whut can i do??

·
I like my trucks like I like my women.....Clean sh
24 Posts
ohh yea, i forgot to tell you i got tthe stock 2.2l 4 banger in their.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
umm, to typhoonzz:

120 and 3800 rpm?? is this right? maybe its because of my gears, but with my auto tranny and 4.10 rear im pushing 3000 rpm at 80 mph...i know typhoons dont have a 5th gear, so those reading are kinda weird to me...

·
Registered
120 Posts
i tried pluggin in the numbers from typhoonzz truck, it looks like the trucks got 3.42 gears with a .70 overdrive (am i even close?) but that combo would get his speedo and rpm about right with the pic

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
You are right on the money V8Blazer. The only transmission available for the syclone and typhoon was the TH700-R4 4 speed automatic. It is the same transmission that is in the Chevrolet Corvette. Gear ratios are 1st 3.06, 2nd 1.63, 3rd 1.00, 4th 0.70 and the final drive ratio is 3.42.

I made the 100 MPH club by the skin of my teeth: http://www.beaversprings.com/100mphclub.html However, they have my trap speed wrong. They have me as number 121 at 106.08MPH but I should have been number 182 at 100.08 MPH. The E.T. for this pass was a SLOW 13.778 my 60' time was 2.063 and my time in the 1/8th was 8.844 at 79.13 MPH. This was done on pump gas and 15 pounds of turbo boost. Hope to get a 12 second slip before this year is out-if my tranny stays together that is :D

Mike

41 - 60 of 61 Posts