S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey group, I'm doing a 1991 S10 v8 conversion using a 383 Stroker with dart heads. Looking for suggestion on type and location of alternator. The truck came with a aftermarket p/steering pump with a v-belt pulley set-up. Second question long or short water pump?

Thanks for your help!
Dave Hood

·
Been there Done it
7,828 Posts
The ancient short water pump brackets are rare as hens teeth.
I'd go serpentine and use a aluminum C4 Corvette shorter waterpump and Mercruiser pulley.
Sorta splits the difference between short and long by getting away from that ridiculously long waterpump GM used with the serpentine system. The C4 pump is reverse rotation, correct for the serpentine belt. (Not to be confused with the LT1's reverse flow which is an other subject completely)
I used a Marine pump on my 377 and that will work either direction, but is cast iron. On my heavy 4wd truck I figured it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ancient short water pump brackets are rare as hens teeth.
I'd go serpentine and use a aluminum C4 Corvette shorter waterpump and Mercruiser pulley.
Sorta splits the difference between short and long by getting away from that ridiculously long waterpump GM used with the serpentine system. The C4 pump is reverse rotation, correct for the serpentine belt. (Not to be confused with the LT1's reverse flow which is an other subject completely)
I used a Marine pump on my 377 and that will work either direction, but is cast iron. On my heavy 4wd truck I figured it wouldn't matter.
I was looking at serpentine set ups they are pricey. Is there a stock belt assembly out there that's compatible??

·
Been there Done it
7,828 Posts
Your truck should have come with a serpentine system on the 4.3. It'll bolt right on to most SBC's and I'd think the Dart heads would have the mounting holes needed. Just go to any Junk yard and get the 2 brackets. If your lucky you might find one with a rebuilt alternator already on it. Later models that used the HT6 style A/C compressor won't work with your R4 compressor. If you have A/C. You want the brackets with the alternator on the drivers side from an Astro, S-series, or a pickup with a SBC or 4.3 from the early 90's

If you don't have A/C there is a delete pulley that goes in it's place that looks like this, but you need the pass side for the tensioner mounting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts