S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Some Day
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna run 2 subs in my 96 regular cab... I was originally thinking 2 10"jlw3v2's but now I am thinking some 12's. I already have the jack out... I have ideas for a box. Make it go into the hole in the passenger side and up where the jack was... go the whole way along the back, hump down to the floor, and go in between my seats as like a console/armrest deal... I think this will acomplish a ton of air.... so can I fit two 12's properly like this... I want to run jl equipment so what 12" jl's should I use and what amp jl 500.1?? also I dont want to lose any clicks in my seating.... thanks

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
you're gonna lose some seat clicks. gonna have to get over that...that should be plenty of air, but i dont know anything about JL.

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
Are you talking about that hole that goes all the way up the side of the truck? I was thinking about pulling that off and making my box go up that for a little more air space and then snap it back into place. I wonder if it would work... Only thing that wouldnt work that I can think of on that is it may raddle back there

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
You are going to lose leg room with 12's. It doesn't matter how you get the airspace, the mounting depth and the fact that the center of the sub is higher up will make the box pretty deep.

Now, if you use something like Illusion Audio's subs, then you don't have to worry about it, 2.9" mounting depth. I've never heard them though.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
is that the magnet in front of the cone?

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Yes, the motor structure is in front of the cone. Supposably they are very good sounding subs.

As for max depth with no clicks lost, it's tough to say. If you did a fiberglass box with the magnet nearly touching the back you could probably get away with 4.25 inches or so of mounting depth. With 3/4" MDF make that more like 4 inches, or so. My ten is 5.25 inches deep (I think, not digging through everything in the attic to find the paperwork!). My box is 4" deep on top, 8.5" on the bottom, and I removed the carpet/padding off the rear wall to fit it back farther. With this I could fit a 12 with about 4.25" of mounting depth. My seat is right where I like it, but the box is stopping it from going back the last 2-3 clicks.

Pretty much anything you do in a regular cab is going to sacrifice legroom. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to give up. I put two 12's in a 1995 S-10 for a friend. He loves it, I could never drive it, as the seat is WAY foward to get the mounting depth required (they were about 5.75" deep each).

·
Give the po' man a break.
285 Posts
I managed to get two Alpine 10s (5.5" mounting depth, I believe) in my reg. cab without losing a click. Yeah, I get a nice backrub, but I'm 6'1". I need all the leg room I can get. I can get the box measurements for you, if you'd like.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i got 2 10 jl w3v2's love em', got them firing up, lose a lot of clicks, hope to do something this month, (new seats, fiberglass box) but overall if you are like 5'8" er so it'll do. hits extremely hard.

·
Master Shake
2,823 Posts
Shortoncash said:
I managed to get two Alpine 10s (5.5" mounting depth, I believe) in my reg. cab without losing a click. Yeah, I get a nice backrub, but I'm 6'1". I need all the leg room I can get. I can get the box measurements for you, if you'd like.
I'd love dimensions. I'll probably be making a box soon to fit my two Pyle 12s (5" depth), and I need a good size to fit in my first gen regular cab. It's a stick, and I'm 5'10" so I need plenty of leg room.

·
Too damn old for this sh*
2,373 Posts
/me has 2 jl 10w3v2s....

put mine in a DIY fiberglass box and lost about 1 or 2 clicks in my std cab... I'm 6'3" and it's not too crampt, but it's not exactly roomy either.
I like my w3s... but I'ma get w6s ASAP... my 500/1 is too much fer em... check gallery for pics

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
wow Hawaiians really are shorter :p
:finger: lol im asian hawaiian..i guess the asian part got me on the height.. :p
naw but get some tall ass hawaiians..mostly full hawaiians are tall..my dads pretty tall.. *shrugs*

·
Registered
9 Posts
for the "shallow" subs, another option you could try as a KOVE... I know almost nothing about them tho.. I was at a local audio shop looking for a 10 inch to replace my cheap, blown jensen in the bandpass box, and I was looking for something kind of shallow, the guy showed me a KOVE 10"... I don't know the exact model or anything, but the magnet is about as big around as the sub itself, and its made specifically shallow boxes.... I didn't get a chance to hear it, but he said that he's hooked a couple up behind the seats of a pickup, and it blasts like hell! and it handles like 400 watts, but I duno if that's RMS or peak...

·
Registered
9 Posts
oh, I forgot to mention, if I remember right, its got like less than a 5 inch depth... and for tall folks with S10's, it wouldn't hurt to try it out.. if anyone knows anything about these, have heard them, or any of that good stuff, I'm really interested in how they sound in such a small enclosure... maybe its real shallow, but what would the recommended volume be?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts