S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the fact that it's slow as shit.

My truck has all new liquids, new plugs, air filter, flipped lid, stock & 250k kms ish.

When I start it it idles all the way up to 3000, stays there for 30-45 secs, then comes down relatively to 1500, then to 1200. HOW can I get it to come all the way down. First I had a throttle response problem, and threw some WD40 on there and it helped a ton. Now... I dunno'. I am relatively knew to the motor side of things, especially sensors, etc. Any suggestions as to how I can get this initial idle down right off the get go?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

·
LadyExplicit
522 Posts
i have the same problem with my truck too... but it's my throttle cable sticking. It'll idle really high (same as yours).. and then i'll tap the pedal.. and it'll kick it down. I know my throttle cable is sticking. and even though i've thrown some lube on it.. it still sticks a little.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check the iac and there is an idle adjustment on the side of the trotle body

I checked the "adjustment" and I didn't see anywhere to adjust. It was just the end of a screw, but no access to the head? Either way, when the truck sits for a minute it does reach a nice 1100 - 1200 rpm idle.

The cable is lubed and springy. The main throttle cable sticks a tad, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

So where is the IAC? Which is it? Picture or description would be amazing, I would be forever indebted!

Also, more on the problem, it seems to idle higher when the clutch is in, even @ a standstill. Make any sense?

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Soulman555 said:
check the iac and there is an idle adjustment on the side of the trotle body

I checked the "adjustment" and I didn't see anywhere to adjust. It was just the end of a screw, but no access to the head? Either way, when the truck sits for a minute it does reach a nice 1100 - 1200 rpm idle.

The cable is lubed and springy. The main throttle cable sticks a tad, but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

So where is the IAC? Which is it? Picture or description would be amazing, I would be forever indebted!

Also, more on the problem, it seems to idle higher when the clutch is in, even @ a standstill. Make any sense?

Thanks again guys.
as far as the clutch idle goes, no that doesnt make sense, but it might also be recovering its idle after hitting low rpms in gear. mine does something like that sometimes. does your idle drop a little every once in awile? thats the most definite sign of a failing IAC

never attached pics here before, hope this works
its just behind the plug shown, should be 4 T-15 torx screws holding it on
this is on the passenger side just by the throttle cable

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ya check the IAC motor, also check the throttle body base gasket. It can also be the egr valve causing the high idle. The best way to find out where parts are is to get yourself a manual. They make it easier to work on your own vehicle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, sense some sarcasm in regards to the manual. lol. But yeah, I am planning on getting on that.

Thanks a ton for the pics. The revs do bob a bit, so I am hoping it's just the IAC and not a gasket to save me the work. I'll let you guys know.

Once again thanks to all, I am gonna' have this 2.5L running so strong. 92hp strong... :eek: lol.

I'll update when I get the part.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big thanks to everyone.

Funny thing about this old trucks. So I take out the IAC, have it in a ziplock to take to a parts place when I get time. I had to move my truck out of the driveway for a sec... And forgot it was out, ran it out quick, and pulled back it, thing idled real high...

So I was like, crap I should put it back in until I just get a new one... I do... And start it. Starts @ 1600 rpms and drops to 1200 right away! Pretty much problem fixed!

Fickle Iron Duke! lol... Thanks again everyone... A free fix!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey folks i have an 89 s10 with a 2.5 4 cylynder and a 5 speed is there a site were i can order a turbocharger and intercooler or would i need to upgrade to a bigger motor cause im trying to create a sleeper to give these hondas a run for there money unexpectedley:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
rmblin said:
hey folks i have an 89 s10 with a 2.5 4 cylynder and a 5 speed is there a site were i can order a turbocharger and intercooler or would i need to upgrade to a bigger motor cause im trying to create a sleeper to give these hondas a run for there money unexpectedley:D
without upgraded internals you're just asking to blow that thing in half.
spend some money on it if you want a killer sleeper, forged pistons, rods, bigger cam and possibly a cosworth 4valve head. with that short stroke (3") and some freedom to rev higher and a turbo it would make significant power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts