S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am trying to get my old 1984 S-10 Running again. It was stored at a rental house and some of the engine parts have been removed by the renters. I'm having a hard time finding the air filter assembly and the valve cover nuts. Any ideas on how or where I can find? See pictures
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive air manifold Nut
Automotive tire Rim Wood Water Gas

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,332 Posts
Wrecking yards maybe, classifieds for the air cleaner or go after market sammich type. For the nuts, you will be able to find them at a hardware store, they are just acorn style in metric, and the grommets usually come with a valve cover gasket set.

·
Boozebag
10,533 Posts
IIRC, thenuts are standard 8mm x 1.25. The grommets are still on the valve cover.
It looks like the rest that is missing is standard early Isuzu pickup or Chevy LUV parts.

I am pretty sure you will find that your carb is going to be clapped out unfortunately.
Before you try to rebuild it or buy a rebuilt unit, save your pesos and buy a Weber conversion.
You will be amazed at how well the engine will run.
They usually cost about $250 to $300 and come as a complete kit including air filter.
Prices vary!
I generally find them on eBay, but they are also listed in Amazon and various other sites
I have lots of parts for these engines, but of course they are at home and I am rarely there.
Post pix of the truck if you can

·
Boozebag
10,533 Posts
It is super unlikely you will find an Isuzu S10 at a yard...
You will probably have to source many of the parts from Rock Auto, eBay or similar.
Example - the cap, rotor and wires are available ( less expensive) from Rock, as well as the coil.
I would empty the radiator and add new anti freeze, and change the oil/filter before you start it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does the truck have Isuzu badges on it? I've seen some 2nd gen body-style Isuzu S10's, and the Isuzu versions of the Chevy Colorado, but I don't believe I've ever seen a 1st gen Isuzu S10. There's some interesting stuff happening under the hood.

·
Boozebag
10,533 Posts
If you want to sell it, let me know.
I have headers, Weber carb conversions and I think I even have a Mallory old stock performance distributor...
They only used the Isuzu engine for 2 years IIRC.

·
Boozebag
10,533 Posts
Damn... Those are definitely specific. ^^^
IIRC, Honda may use similar fasteners.
BTW, did you look on the ground under the truck? By accident, they may be there.

Suggestion... Remove the valve cover and see if the studs can be removed.
If they can, buy longer studs and use regular nuts/washers to secure the cover.

·
Boozebag
10,533 Posts
I live in hotels for the most part... I've been home 2 weeks in the past 6 years.
I live in Baton Rouge and once in a while New York.
I have one of those "Never at home" jobs.
If you get a chance, flash some more pix of your truck.

I may have mentioned - I have several of these engines - or should I say several Isuzu vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Max,

I took your advice and removed the valve cover but instead of getting new ones I just loosed them and unscrewed them a little to get the needed length. There is still plenty of threads to hold the cover in place. Hope your travels are safe
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Font

1 - 20 of 20 Posts