S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. i got a 96 s10 4.3 x w/ the 4l60e. I'm havin some trouble with it shiftin into second now. the other day, I took off from a stop light a little too spirited you could say. Was not WOT, but wasnt being very soft either. Anyway, when it shifted into second, it shook real bad and didnt act like it wanted to go into gear. I've read the common problems sticky and the only thing that sounds similar is no. 3. I was actually thinking that the discs were just that worn? If i take off slow now and drive like i have some sense, it shifts just fine. Its just under a load that it acts funny. Any opinions? truck has 132,xxx on it all original, so I'm thinking its just age, but let me know what you think. Fluid level is fine, looks good and doesnt smeel THAT bad also.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
are you sure the trans is not in limp home mode?

is there power to the tranny?

check wiring connector on pass side of tranny case

does the gear indicator in dash light up and work correctly?

if not then try another range selector switch

also check ground wires anywhere under truck by tranny, and under dash etc

and any fuses for power train or drivetrain or transmission

or the tranny may need serviced, parts replaced

if its not in limp mode then try a bottle of trans seal conditioner(red) ive saved alot of trannies that ppl thought were dead or dying witt this stuff

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you^^. and i was planning on buying a bottle of lucas for it. But the tranny is fine other than when mid-high rpm shifts into second. its not in limp home mode and you would actually never know anything is wrong with it until you get on it a little. But i will check grounds too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got some new, pretty pertinent info today. I was coming to a stop at a light. Rollin about 25 and I downshifted into first gear. The truck obviously lurched and slowed down. However, when I took off from the light, instead of slipping, it shifted like it used to. It even felt pretty solid. This means I just have a sticky valve correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts