S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been reading a lot of the stickies and before I dive in and start tearing the truck apart I wanted to ask a quick question. My 04 will shift into 4L but not 4H. I can hear it try to engage but it just switches back to 2H when I push the 4H button.

If the actuator switch on transfer case is bad, can it cause this? Are there individual vacuum lines for each 4L or 4H I should try to trace? Could this be an electrical issue?

Also, it only switches when in Neutral, is this normal? Should it not switch in park?

thx

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Tccm is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It behind passenger side kick panel. Takes a 10mm socket and harness plugs in. Get one from a take apart. Be sure one you get doesn’t have any corrosion on the pins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can hear the TCCM click when I try to put it in 4L or 4H. Does that matter? If it were bad would it still shift into 4L?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Yes. Everyone I had fail would go
Into 4
Lo but not 4 hi. Bet if you pull yours. You’ll find it rusty and corrosion on a few pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will be digging in to that tomorrow. I found another thread that talked about jumping the A-J on the ALDL and watching the flashes for codes. Might try that as well tomorrow to see what is shows. Thanks for the help. I hope its the TCCM and not the encoder motor!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So following a thread here on S10 Forum I grounded out the 13 pin and turn the ignition to on, 4x4 buttons on the dash blinked 2 times.... encoder motor issue. Watched a video online about replacing it, it doesn't look too difficult.

Anyone have any pointers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts