S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read that the colorado (replacement for s10's for 2004) would have a 4 cylinder rated at 175 horsepower... i would prefer to swap that engine on my S10 than getting a heavier v8...

what do you guys think?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
That engine is going to be heavier than an LS1, and most likely an LT1....

I doubt it would be worth it, but hey why not?

Caleb

·
PPG Sprayin Minitrucker
1,038 Posts
Sure, just have fun finding a colorado in a junk yard somewhere.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I'm sure that won't be a problem in a couple months, they're already having problems with the engine, I can picture the rest of that turd following suit.

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Well, its an iron block according to the brochure, where as the LS1 is aluminum......I should've said I wouldn't doubt the engine.....cause I don't know for sure....

and problems, well, piston knock already, and electrical gremlins are what I've talked to a couple salesguys about. One person ordered one, and en route from another dealer it just shut off.....its in their service bay right now trying to get fixed, but they can't find out whats wrong with it. I'm sure there are going to be more problems, there always are the first few years of production.

caleb

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lost foam casting
The foundations of Colorado's engines are deep skirt, CAST ALUMINUM engine blocks. They are produced with a lost foam process that allows more precise dimensional control, while reducing necessary finish machining in oil galleries, coolant passages and other internal passages. The deep-skirt design places block material below the crankshaft centerline to enhance rigidity of the block, while the lightweight aluminum offers better control of oil temperature, eliminating the need for an auxiliary oil cooler. The lighter-weight engine block enhances fuel economy, too, by reducing the overall mass of the vehicle.

http://media.gm.com/division/chevrolet/colorado_launch_082103/index.html

Cylinder Block / Lost Foam

The Vortec 3500 and 2800 employ a lighter weight all-aluminum cylinder block and a deep skirt design for structural rigidity. Finite element analysis (FEA) was used to optimally balance and reduce block weight and enhance rigidity for smoother, quieter engine operation.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/vortecinline/comp.htm

clearly, these new engines are way better then the vortec 2200, these are bigger, lighter, stronger, and flow more air in and out. They have higher compression ratio, better ignition, and they have vvt (variable valve timing) something that our 2.2 engines will never see. Yes, I know I drive one, but not for long.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
wow, the original brochure for one right here in front of me says its a cast block.....maybe this was a prelim and they changed it, or an error? Sorry for the mistake.

Caleb

·
Registered
920 Posts
Kgry said:
Would that I5 even fit in an S10 engine bay? That's a pretty long engine.
doubtful
i bet the new I4 would be tight, and its alot higher than a 2200

·
Registered
485 Posts
it will be hard to fit in, a 4.3 liter is a v-8 setup without 2 cylinders , that way it is easy to swap it to a v8,
the 04 colorado has a different chasis and that engine will cost huge bucks

·
SUICIDE: The Only Answer
3,199 Posts
basically, you can put any engine into anything. You could put a big block in a s10 if you want no firewall and the tranny in your lap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah but a big block still has only 4 cylinders on each side. The I5 has five cylinder in a row, it's longer.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
well make it happen move the rad forward get a smaller ac condensor get some damn good small fans pound away at the fire wall hope the motor mounts will match up in a close area of where it will sit and find a wiring diagram and go to town with the first s-10 5 cylinder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude ide stick w it the s10

1 - 20 of 26 Posts