S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complete 2003 Tahoe with the 4.8 in it. I just recently got a 2002 s10 with a 4.3 and a blown head gasket. My thought is I want to use the truck for work, I tend to drive about an hour home in traffic so I’d want the ac and everything to run. What do I need to pull from the Tahoe and keep from the s10? I would like to make the harness from the Tahoe work in the truck. I don’t want to use the 4l60 from the Tahoe, so that leaves the one in the truck, yes I know it’s weaker. The transmission will work perfectly fine for the time being until I build another trans for it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,323 Posts
This will solve your problem. It worked perfect on mine. If you already have the dished flex plate, all you need is the spacer.

Here's a video...

·
Been there Done it
13,291 Posts
Are you 100% sure it's not just a leaking lower intake gasket? People unfamiliar with 4.3's mistake the very common intake leak for a head gasket leak.
I was even dumb enough to believe someone once when they sold me a truck that "needed a head gasket". When I got the head off I kicked myself because I know better and wasted both time and money.
As far as swapping the 4.3 for an LS style 4.8, it will cost you 10 times as much as fixing the 4.3 and take 20 times as long for not a lot of gain. Jeez Louise at least get an LM7 5.3 if you're going to spend all that money doing the swap. An LM7 will likely cost about the same as the swap oil pan your going to need. The wiring harness will cost you as much as both and then some unless you're an ASE Master Tech who likes doing wiring and are qualified to build your own from scratch. Nothing is more frustrating than spending a month studying wiring diagrams and building a 200+ wire harness, then to have absolutely nothing happen first time you turn the key. I was lucky it was a ground that had come uncrimped and I knew right where to look because of 60 years experience.
Ask anyone on here who has actually completed a swap and you'll find they didn't "just swap an LS in it". For a first time LS swapper it takes months and thousands. And then there will be another 6 months fixing all the little bugs. In reality swaps are never really done. You'll have an eternal list of things you should or could do different or better.
Good luck with which ever path you take. hopefully it's not 4wd.

Reactions: S10dude

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
2003 4.8 …. 2002 s10
perfect for an s10 swap

What do I need to pull from the Tahoe and keep from the s10?
TAC module, entire accelaretor pedal assembly, engine, transmission, PCM, driveline, transmission linkage cable. Have the rest of the tahoe towed to your local scrapper/junk yard for $500 or part it out yourself and make 800-1500 bucks back.

I would like to make the harness from the Tahoe work in the truck.
No. too much time, hassle, and not worth it in the end.

I don’t want to use the 4l60 from the Tahoe,
Yes you do. Don’t think this again, you want to use the tahoe tgrans. Its there, its already hooked to the engine, everything works, don’t go thinking like superman about some great conversion the Ls gods have bestowed upon us. Use it.[/QUOTE]

The factory tahoe AC compressor WILL fit with frame notching, and you can have AC hoses made to keep your AC working in perfect order.

Once you get it all together and running, get it dyno tuned. No not for max hp, but for perfect operating conditions, MPGs, and all together correctness from going from a heavy @ss tahoe to a light S10, you need the fuel trims, intake tube and exhaust system all retuned to your s10.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes you do. Don’t think this again, you want to use the tahoe tgrans. Its there, its already hooked to the engine, everything works, don’t go thinking like superman about some great conversion the Ls gods have bestowed upon us. Use it.
That’s probably true but the one in the Tahoe lived a hard life of it being used as a tow vehicle and the transmission isn’t long for this world. I’ve never got to work with one of these transmission, so I’d probably want to pick one up out of a similar year truck or suv.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
. I’ve never got to work with one of these transmission, so I’d probably want to pick one up out of a similar year truck or suv.
How many LS based engines have you worked with? Becuase with your statement above, you might as well "pick one up out of a similar year truck or suv."
there is nothing wrong with the transmission that comes with the engine, besides, youll end up wasting money doing something else. This isnt my first LS swap. In fact, it's my third this month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is nothing wrong with the transmission that comes with the engine, besides, youll end up wasting money doing something else.
This is my first ls-based swap. I’ve been around Jeep’s with stroked out i6 swapped in my entire life and put one in a 90 Yj. We I know the transmission in the Tahoe is toasted. I’ve swapped in a few 4l60 and know they’re simple to put in and out. Yea it will cost more but I’m not waiting or paying to get the trans rebuilt.

·
Been there Done it
13,291 Posts
First thing to be aware of is any 4L60E behind an LS engine is different than it's predecessors.
They have a .400 longer bellhousing and different input shafts,pump, and torque converter. There are adapters available for about the same price as a good used LS 4L60E. I paid $300 for the last 2wd one I bought. I have noticed with the current inflation everyone selling used auto parts seems to think the value of their junk has doubled in the last month. I argue that gas has also doubled to come get the part so I am not going to pay an inflated price to boot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have noticed with the current inflation everyone selling used auto parts seems to think the value of their junk has doubled in the last month. I argue that gas has also doubled to come get the part so I am not going to pay an inflated price to boot.
Undoubtedly, the cost of everything automotive has skyrocketed in price, I’m paying about 4.50 for a gallon of 87 in California. I’ve read that the 4l60e from the 4.3 was closer to the v8 version than that. Sounds like too much of a hassle

·
Been there Done it
13,291 Posts
The V8 version and the LS version are 2 different animals. The S10 trans stayed the same until 04, but when the 99 full size came out with the LM7 the transmission was different than the 98 L31. Both were V8's but one is an LS and the other isn't. On the SUV's like Tahoe and the vans you have to know which engine it had because those changed gradually over 3 or 4 years. If it had a 5.7 it will fit on a 4.3 S10. If it had a 5.3 it won't. To make it more confusing the full sized pickups with 4.3's after 99 used the LS version of the 4L60E and an adapter. Which is available for around $300 from GMPP. That can be used to adapt later transmissions to earlier motors. They have one for going the other way also. The SBC V8 and the 4.3 S10 transmission is called the 298mm 4L60E. The LS version is the 300mm 4L60E. You can convert one to the other by changing bellhousings and everything that sticks out the front of the main case. Pump, input shafts, torque converter, etc.
Corvettes and Camaros are 2 other things completely. Short outputs and torque tubes, etc.
"Just stick an LS in it" Yeah, right.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Undoubtedly, ...........Sounds like too much of a hassle
Thats why for the ease of everything, i stated to use the parts that came with the tahoe. It sucks to have a trans rebuilt, but the kowing of never having an issue with it when its done is a nice piece of mind. I get chagred $1400 for 4l60's with all the updates, corvette servo, different shell, basically all the weak parts, with a new 2500 stall convertor. Yes it sucks, but it's easier to work on an engine, than a trans, in my opinion.

I bought 2 LS platforms (a 4.8 and a 5.3) last weekend for $500 for both. Theyre cheap, it's even cheaper to swap into an S10 if youre familiar with what needs to be done. There is lots of good people in here with great helpful information. We all have experience, and willing to share it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts