S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
It's mostly BS
2,675 Posts
Right now you don't know if it's fuel or fire. When it won't start, try starting fluid. If it starts, then you know it's fuel. I'd also get a spark tester to see if you're getting good spark. I wouldn't start replacing those new parts since nothing has gotten worse.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Starting condition has worsened though, starts fine 65% of the time, and its been worsening. Cranks, starts, dies. Starts, Idles down dies. or just wont start at all for mega times.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I wonder if it's an electrical issue also I just had my hazards on with the truck off for about 15 to 20 minutes came back my battery was almost to 11 or 10 , then I had a power surge after I started the truck then it finally charged back up to normal 14 about a minute or so later the battery is brand new and so is the alternator, wondering if this is a parasitic draw that's causing all this also as a possibility.

·
It's mostly BS
2,675 Posts
When it won't start, is the starter turning the engine? If the starter is turning the engine, the battery is OK.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It cranks, sometimes it cranks starts fine runs ok, other times cranks no start, starts runs for a few seconds and then starts to idle down then dies, starting to smell oil again coming into the cab, I think thats the rear main though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I came across this forum and had this issue last month--- replaced a shorted out fuel pump-- check your grounds,Every harness, and fuel filter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Ryno.
Checking every harness and ground and fuel filter.

I've checked most of all that I can find and get too.

A body harness from firewall to cab to engine compartment was severed by a drill bit a couple years ago and I dont know if there was anything wired related to fuel in that harness. But it still had that intermittent starting issue before it was severed.

After a few days after I put in the fuel pump its been starting up everytime on the first crank except for once. So im assuming its fuel pump/ wiring related.

I notice it just doesnt run as strong when Im on less than a quarter tank, I also had metal scraps inside the fuel tank when I replaced the pump because it didnt have an snap ring around the top of where it mounts to the tank its a slotted ring fitting thats difficult to remove and install and had to be beat with a sledge and long flat head to be able to press the slotted ring fitting down and turn it and snap it into its place. And I ended up doing the fuel pump replacement off the side of the road in a industrial area in the middle of the night in a snow rain storm without a shop vac to suck up the metal shavings out of the tank on this 2nd fuel pump replacement. I also did a voltage test on the pump and sending unit connectors, Im not sure what voltage I was supposed to be getting but It read pretty strong from 4-5 and 8-9 volts on the connectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That snap ring can be a SOB-- After the hired master mechanic and I were done rewiring the harness and, had 12v at the pump, (time to investigate)-- from what I've been reading the pumps can be a frequent issue. I too have the fuel level issue,- however now my entire transmission and rear end went down the other morning and going to look for help

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah I think it was around 11 volts or so I don't remember off hand, a week went by with no issues and then all the sudden it just did it again where I started up then died. Waited a few minutes and then it fired up and kept running I just don't want it to not start at all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey Ryno howd you know that fuel pump was shorted out? Was it just not running or what was going on?
And fuel level issue? Also what do you mean these fuel pumps are a frequent issue?
Tanks full and just had another random die at start up. Restarted and it fired and ran. Seems like when im slowing down at times to turn or go up curbs it feels like its not running strong as I slow down like its not combusting good in the cylinders or not getting enough fuel.. And where did you find the short in yours?
Does anyone know if the body wire harness that comes down around the parking brake and out through the firewall has a fuel pump wire? Im assuming it does because its connected to the ignition switch?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Cranks, doesn't turn, 6 cranks turns and makes a poof sound doesn't fire, then a few cranks later it fires and runs this morning.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Then I turn it off try to restart it it cranks turns for a second dies and Itll do that a few times and then start running again?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've chalked mine up to a common fuel issue. When I'd get on it at a corner, coming to a stop especially downhill. Then I had a pinhole leak in a coolant line (I think a coolant) line dousing my starter spot on. Replaced starter. 2x (under warranty for the 2nd). That solved the dying and long crank-- then it occurred from time to time-- usually after is was warm. She'd fire up after sitting long. The short on the pump-- maybe wires exposed (mine were and shoddy ground). My truck has had many quick fixes by the look of it. Quick car flippers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
then it's just starts doing this thing again where it just doesn't want to start forever or turns over fires instantly dies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I get her back up and driving again I'll do some more tracking on it. It would piss me off after doing all that work for it to start acting up after a short time--- maybe the cool dense air of winter plays a part

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I don't know, doesn't look like anybody else does either so it's going to have to go to the Steelers ship for a diagnostic.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts