S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure out why this engine wants to sporadically die after start ups but then it will restart right back up.?
Never done this before...
Its got fairly new everything related to spark and fuel.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't figure this out. Did it this morning it took forever to start like 15 minutes and it wouldn't even turn but it still cranked. Then drove it shut off. Restarted. Fired up. Died. The restarted and ran fine. Any ideas out there? Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm considering this to be a low compression or fuel pump going out, it seems like it does it more requently after it's not driven for awhile.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another didn't want to start this cold morning after 20 minutes and 10 cranks. Battery cables are tight and clean alternator is pretty new even though it could be still going out. Started and ran though it's only done that start and die thing ocassionaly, it's just too hard to start.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a sporadic problem where it doesn't want to start sometimes and I'll take forever to finally start, I noticed it happening over the last couple years and now the last 2 months of got really bad and I've not been driving the truck that much and it's been sitting with an empty tank and then I'm getting very big fluctuations in temperature from 40 to 50 degrees at night so what I'm thinking is if there's condensation in the gas tank and it's freezing inside of the fuel lines I did put a bottle of heat in this thing last year to try to solve the problem and I think it did a little bit but maybe there's just so much in there. Most of time a it'll fire right up. But then their times were just doesn't want to start up. 2 * 5 * 10 * 15 * 30 * 50 * times till it starts totally erratic. and then just recently it did this thing where it would start up and it would immediately die but then it would start right back up. Fired up last night in the evening time and it hasn't froze yet. Started right up. Then this morning I go out there and it's frosted over and freezing try to start it and it just will not start for like 30 cranks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This heet didn't work, it's the fuel pump how long will it last when you have to bang on the tank to get it going

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remember you telling me about replacing it with a cheap Spectra pump a couple years and it would go out Rhot, this is the same one that you were talking about so you're right. But also when I connected the electrical connections on this fuel pump I was unknowledgeable to even be using dielctric Grease, and I'm pretty sure that snow and water will work it's way on to top of that fuel tank and pump and on top of those electrical connections. I think this cheap one that failed was a airtex Wells.

·
It's mostly BS
2,673 Posts
If you spliced on a new connector into the harness to fit the new pump, check those splices very carefully, that could potentially be a source of the problem too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys, no I didn't splice any new connectors before, last time. But there's actually a clip on one of the connectors to the fuel pump that was brokenI think it was the fuel pressure sensor plug and kinda unrealated but maybe, dome light flickers ocassionaly after I recharged battery.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not the fuel pump I don't know what the problem is but it's doing the same thing where it sporadically dies. I'm wondering if it's the crank position sensor it's not a problem with getting the oil on it any suggestions out there thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not the crank position sensor either. Sometimes it starts fine and then sometimes it will just die after it starts after it starts idling down or it just won't start at all or it's very hard to start.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's been doing this for years now and I think it just getting progressively worse now and I just can't figure it out I replace all ignition everything cool packs spark plugs wires fuel pump fuel filter all sensors pretty much that I can reach, got a new alternator, battery is good, all grounds that I can see look okay, seems like my daytime running lights don't want to come on now either but I don't know if it's because of the darkness of winter but I think that they stayed on anyway last year so I don't know. No codes or check engine light on either.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also had the ECM checked to last year but another guy he said it was okay, all fuses that I can see look okay also, still have that stumble in about 3600 RPMs but from what everybody said they say that's normal in that say rev limiter if that might have anything to do with it.also swapped out an ignition switch too with no difference, any thoughts out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I also put a new ICM on it too, and cleaned the EGR valve, I know novice throwing parts at it I don't know what else to do. Unless it's just from using like Rimara said cheaper parts that are causing these issues by not using AC Delco or Delphi electronic parts and now I'm getting these intermittent problems, now to go backwards with replacing the minimum if this is actually what's wrong?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts