S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 S10 will not start. It doesn't crank. All the gauge lights, tail lights and head lights come on when I turn the key on. I just replaced the starter relay with a new one and it made no difference. I checked the large blade fuses in the under hood fuse box and they are all good. I'm wondering what could be going on?

·
It's mostly BS
2,711 Posts
See if the relay clicks when you have someone turn the key to start. If not, check to see if you have voltage at the "crank fuse" when key is in start.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Check to see if you have power at the fat wire at the starer solenoid and power at the small signal wire on the stater solenoid. If you have that, you need a starter.

or, you can go ghetto and hit the starter with a hammer while someone has the key in the start position and see if it starts. also a sign that you need a starter if that method works.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check to see if you have power at the fat wire at the starer solenoid and power at the small signal wire on the stater solenoid. If you have that, you need a starter.

or, you can go ghetto and hit the starter with a hammer while someone has the key in the start position and see if it starts. also a sign that you need a starter if that method works.

The starter solenoid is attached to the starter correct?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm leaning towards it being a bad starter. The truck has 200k+ on it. I checked all applicable fuses/relays and the battery for volts and it is fine. The battery is only a few months old anyways. I am going to try and check the wires on the starter solenoid as suggested above ^. Problem is moving the truck from the sloped driveway where it's parked to a flat place where I can get a jack and jack stands under it.

·
It's mostly BS
2,711 Posts
Since the relay clicks, a bad starter sounds like the most likely. Also, check the small wire to the starter is in good shape and isn't shorted on the manifold.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm leaning towards it being a bad starter. The truck has 200k+ on it. I checked all applicable fuses/relays and the battery for volts and it is fine. The battery is only a few months old anyways. I am going to try and check the wires on the starter solenoid as suggested above ^. Problem is moving the truck from the sloped driveway where it's parked to a flat place where I can get a jack and jack stands under it.
The starter solenoid is attached to the starter. I do agree that you most likely need a starter considering the mileage and if it's an original starter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
See if the relay clicks when you have someone turn the key to start. If not, check to see if you have voltage at the "crank fuse" when key is in start.
I have a 4.3l with same problem but I can hear mine click inside the bcm. Is there a way to fix that or go around bcm cause I dont have the means to purchase a new one atm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts