S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 02 Xtreme with a CD/Cassette player which is stock.
I was wondering if anyone know what kind of input and output connections there are on the back.
In the next week or so I will be taking the dash apart a little, so I might be able to see.
Reason I am asking is because I want to hookup a self powered sub, I would also like to plug in a hard drive based MP3 player, so play all of my music.
Any thoughts?
-TheComputerGuy23

·
Registered
390 Posts
It probably can be done, the only outputs on the stock cd player is speaker level outputs, i tapped mine ran them to a amp and then back to the factory wire harness when i upgraded my stereo, personally if you're gonna go to all the trouble of wiring up high end equipment, shell out the extra cash and get something that will put out better quality sound, it'll just save you from upgrading in the future when you realize you're not happy with what you did...............

·
Registered Stepsider!!!!!
569 Posts
I don't believe there are any outputs or inputs on the factory radios but I may be wrong, there weren't any on my 99.

·
1st Gen Owner Again lol
473 Posts
there wasn't any sort of aux input or outputs (other then to factory speakers) on my 2k3 stock cd player. hell for all it's worth I'd just get aftermarket stero like kenwood or alpine and do it that way, then whenever you decide if you want a bigger amp, eq, ect you're good to go

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
the only way ur gonna be able to hook up any of those is with a line out converter and an fm modulator. but if remember correctly some self powered subs have harnesses that can connect into the stock one piggyback style to get audio signal

·
Ex Minitrucker
1,072 Posts
With the RDS on our stereo we couldnt sell them off could we?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally like the stock stereo.
It has a tape and CD player together.
What I don't like about the aftermarket CD players is that you have to put a shim all the way around the stereo, because of the size difference.
I would have to find a full size CD player/tape combo that would fit, before I would replace my stock stereo.
I like the powered sub because of the space that is saved.
I do not want a competition sound system in my truck.
I would like to hook up a MP3 player, but I have neither a MP3 player or a pc on which to rip mp3s.
I think at this point I will just leave it alone.
I am happy with the stock system, so until I find the need top upgrade, it will stay the same.
Thanks for the input,
-TheComputerGuy23

·
Ex Minitrucker
1,072 Posts
hey check out my cardomain i think i have a pic of the headunit and the harness it has. Its awesome cause it has a little shelf underneath the HU. Looks really good to me compared to one without a shelf.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats not bad, but unless it was clean fit, I wouldn't like it.
I think I would need one of those huge full size stereos, that are tall but not too deep.
I'm gonna look and see whats out there.
-TheComputerGuy23

·
676 Posts
tcg23 said:
I personally like the stock stereo.
It has a tape and CD player together.
What I don't like about the aftermarket CD players is that you have to put a shim all the way around the stereo, because of the size difference.
I would have to find a full size CD player/tape combo that would fit, before I would replace my stock stereo.
I like the powered sub because of the space that is saved.
I do not want a competition sound system in my truck.
I would like to hook up a MP3 player, but I have neither a MP3 player or a pc on which to rip mp3s.
I think at this point I will just leave it alone.
I am happy with the stock system, so until I find the need top upgrade, it will stay the same.
Thanks for the input,
-TheComputerGuy23
Here you go man, check this out. CD player/tape/MP3 player, and its oversized so it about the same size as the stock radio.
Etronics

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats nice, but not quite what I wanted.
I don't want to have to burn my MP3s to CD, I want a HD based MP3 player that I can hook up to my stereo and then unplug it to go mobile.
I just need a full size cd/cassette player with aux inputs so I can hook a MP3 player up that way.
Some say I'm picky, but if I'm going to spend my hard earned money, I have the right to be picky.
Thanks for the input and suggestion!
-TheComputerGuy23

·
676 Posts
tcg23 said:
Thats nice, but not quite what I wanted.
I don't want to have to burn my MP3s to CD, I want a HD based MP3 player that I can hook up to my stereo and then unplug it to go mobile.
I just need a full size cd/cassette player with aux inputs so I can hook a MP3 player up that way.
Some say I'm picky, but if I'm going to spend my hard earned money, I have the right to be picky.
Thanks for the input and suggestion!
-TheComputerGuy23
ohh i see..well damn you are gonna spend a lot of hard earned cash on something like that, those players with harddrives are expensive. :chicken:

·
stock is the new fixed up
530 Posts
yeah, that line output converter can get you a sub, and i think i remember a blue remote wire comming out (dont know if it was an antenna one or not), but input wise there wasnt one in the stock wiring harness. there was a secondary wiring harness input on the stock stereo for the CD changer (i think), but i would have no idea as to how to attach an ext device to it....i would think the stereo would try to control a CD changer as to anything else.

·
chief one
80 Posts
nope, no imput, no output, if you want to hook up a sub to your stock deck you can buy a converter that you wire into the back of your deck to give you rca jacks for the sub. They are only like 15 bucks and really easy to put in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input!
Yah, I'm going to put one of those Infinity basslink self powered subs in my truck with the line out converter, but it looks like thats it.
Now I know,
-TheComputerGuy23

·
Registered
57 Posts
another option to filling the gap is throwing an eq in under the head unit...this is what i did...i had the little pocket under the deck before i got the eq....sounds alot better than the stock radio

1 - 18 of 18 Posts