S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Been there Done it
15,747 Posts
98-04 S10 4wd vehicles. Should have the broadcast code tag of XTAD. With X being the year. ie.,1999 is 9TAD or 02 is 2TAD. The S's are the only models that continued to use the 298mm version of the 4L60E. Not 97 or earlier and there aren't any later S-series.
NOT, let me repeat NOT out of any other models like Silverado etc. In 99 they changed to the 300mm 4L60E. Even behind the 4.3's, when put in bigger vans and trucks. The torque converter, bell housing and inputs are different on those.
If someone tells you that they can be adapted, they're right. But the parts needed will cost more than the correct transmission will. I paid $100 for my last 125K 4L60E. Out of a 02 S-Blazer. It had been T-boned in the pass door and the owner parted it out. I talked him down from $200 because it was obvious he just wanted it out of his garage. Been in my CC for a couple years.
BTW swapping one is a major PITA in a CC. Exhaust has to come down along with a hundred other things. Helps to have a 15mm short swivel 6 point socket and 3 foot extension for a couple of the bell housing bolts. Bash the firewall seam up flat before re-installing the trans. The transmission range switch connectors are hot glued to seal them. Yo Momma's hair dryer is needed to get them apart and back together. Soak both sets of u-joint cap bolts with PB Blaster and use a 6 point socket to prevent round cornering them. Make sure the socket fits tight. You really don't want to break a bolt either. When separating the muffler gasket get the nuts good and hot (not with Propane). Minimum would be Mapp gas. If you break one of those pressed in studs, you'll wear out your drill trying to drill out that hardened and brittle metal. Getting the nuts glowing pink makes it easy. To disconnect the starter wiring remove the pass wheel and fold the tar paper back. These are all tips learned the hard way. Worst 4L60E I ever removed. So much stuff has to come out first. Be absolutely positive the trans going in is good. You don't wanna do it twice.

Reactions: 2ToeRacing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your help man. I already got the trans out last week. Didnt do enough research got the wrong year 4l60e had one outta a 07 Tahoe got it under there realized the bolts r wrong the electric is wrong too had a tech tell me. So id wanna get one outta a s10 from 94-04?

·
Been there Done it
15,747 Posts
No. 98-04 is what you want. From a 4wd s-series.
It will have the code ?TAD in one or both of 2 places. Either on the paper tag on the top of the case or on the pan rail at the bottom rear of the case. The paper tags can be removed. The one on the pan rail is etched in stone (well actually stamped into the aluminum). Here is a pic of the pan rail. If it has the big paper tag on the upper case drivers side the info is the same.
Rectangle Font Parallel Cylinder Engineering

·
Registered
6 Posts
No. 98-04 is what you want. From a 4wd s-series.
It will have the code ?TAD in one or both of 2 places. Either on the paper tag on the top of the case or on the pan rail at the bottom rear of the case. The paper tags can be removed. The one on the pan rail is etched in stone (well actually stamped into the aluminum). Here is a pic of the pan rail. If it has the big paper tag on the upper case drivers side the info is the same.
View attachment 367515
Do you know much about the Manuals for these trucks. Mine is damaged and I’m either going to fix it or replaced with a junkyard one but can’t find another 4x4 s10 manual. Here is the link to the thread I made explaining everything. Nv3500 identification of parts and rebuild questions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts