S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

02 S10 2.2 New ignition switch, won’t start now

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  PoleCatStu 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 S10 with the 2.2 L4 Engine, manual transmission RWD. When I bought it a month ago, it would start just fine, idle great, but when you would drive for awhile it would sputter out and die. Wouldn’t start if you held in the clutch and turned the key, you’d have to pull over to the side of the road, shut off the ignition for about 30 seconds and then re start it and it would pop off. But progressively got worse the longer I drove it. The security light stayed on all the time I also noticed. Ran my buddy’s scanner on it and it said there was an ignition theft signal received and it cut off the injectors from working. I replaced the ignition switch and plugged everything back in the way I pulled the old one out (with the battery disconnected) and it went in smooth. The other code was a cam position sensor that I replaced at the same time also. Now there’s no codes and no security light, but when you crank it over it has no problem cranking but won’t fire. It has spark and compression, but i want to bet that it’s not getting any fuel. It won’t even fire off of starting fluid. I’m at a loss and can’t think of anything else to check or what went wrong. The fuel pump cycles and everything else works when you turn the key. Any help is much appreciated...

#2 ·
You have to do a relearn on the Passlock system when changing the ignition switch.

#4 ·
If that's the method you are using, it's wrong. 3 times for 10 minutes is how it's done.
It has to done exactly like this:
Passlock – coded lock cylinder The Passlock anti-theft system requires the presence of a key in the lock cylinder to enable starting. The lock cylinder contains a stationary Hall effect sensor and a rotating magnet. When the key is turned in the lock cylinder, the magnet creates a signal on the Hall effect sensor. The cylinder then sends a coded signal to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) or body control module BCM. If the IPC/BCM receives the expected coded signal, the IPC/BCM will send a message over serial data to inform the PCM that the vehicle may be started. To perform a relearn on a Passlock system, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle. The battery will be used for 30 minutes without the alternator available for charging. Connect a battery charger to the battery to ensure power is available while programming. Both the IPC/BCM and PCM must be working and communicating with each other.
1. Turn ignition on.
2. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
3. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light will turn off.
4. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
5. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
6. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light will turn off.
7. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
8. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
9. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light will turn off.
10. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
11. Vehicle has now learned the new password. Start the engine.
12. With a scan tool, clear any trouble codes. NOTE: For most cars, one 10-minute cycle will be enough for the vehicle to learn the new password. Perform all 3 cycles if the car will not start after 1 cycle. Most trucks will require all 3 cycles for learning the password. There isn't a password as we would use one, but the coded signal from the lock cylinder is a "password".

#5 ·
Okay I just tried this and the security light never comes on. But for an update to this post I put that cam sensor in the other day and it will fire off of carb cleaner through the throttle body... the injectors just are shut off it seems. Will try the reset again. Thanks for commenting!

#7 ·
Make sure you check the simple things first. Make sure all fuses are good, no corrosion, good grounds and the like. Usually if the security light goes out once you turn the key the system is happy with the key.

Check for power at the injectors. They should get +12V at one of the wires (to ground) at all times when the ignition is in run or start. The PCM provides a ground to fire the injector, this can be tested with a noid light. Also make sure to test power to the injectors when cranking the engine. The new ignition switch could be cutting power to the required part of the truck while cranking.

To me this sounds more like a corrosion or ground issue. The lock cylinder is where the passlock parts are located, the ignition switch will not usually randomly disconnect part of the power unless the key is wiggling the gear just right (ie time for a new lock cylinder), but a loose ground or corrosion... yup... all sorts of funny hard to find stuff happen there!

#8 ·
It would start and idle fine before but since I replaced that ignition switch, it’s been nothing but problems. Will run on carb cleaner if sprayed into the tbi but it’s short lived. It’s a brand new ignition switch and the security light is off. I’ve checked all the grounds from the frame to the motor to the battery. No corrosion.

Ive also replaced the oil pressure sensor as well as the cam sensor. Doesn’t appear to make a difference... will try the noid light tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.